White Shower Tiles turning greyish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
3 tiles in my shower have changed to a greyish blue. I have uploaded a picture.

When we had the shower re-fitted around 2 1/2 years ago we did have a problem with some of the tiles, which were replaced. It appears these tiles are doing the same. Strange thing is 3 of the tiles have changed colour 1 is fine.
Im wondering if water may have got in behind the grout on these tiles. I have left it to dry now for 2 weeks and they have not changed colour back.

Im going to get someone in to take a look, but would really like to have an idea of what might have happened. Providing there is not sign of a water leak could those tiles just be replaced?

Cheers
Michael

Attachments

• shower tiles.jpg
    shower tiles.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 887
Sponsored Links
Why bother - they are barely noticeable in the bottom course?
The LH tile goes behind the enclosure jamb, & will involve removing some of the enclosure.
Lightly press the tiles one by one and see if any moisture seeps out or if there feels to be significant give indicating water damage behind the tiles.

@Micky76 From the looks of the photo you have an issue were water is getting in to the back of the tile and causing the tiles to go like this..

was the area tanked/waterproofed before tiling?

you might want to check if these are any pin holes in the grout, also check silicone seal around the base, id re do this again.

Sounds like you need to get this replaced. I'd put money on water damage.

Sponsored Links
Thanks All, to be honest when we had the shower first installed a few years ago we have always had problems with some of the tiles showing water marks, the guy came back out, did the old ummm, arrrgh and replaced some of the tiles and said the tiles did not appear to be that good! He supplied them! He then sprayed all the tiles with a sealant - sealguard - that seemed to 'fix' the issue. Ill get someone out to take look, cheers

Make sure it isn't the same bloke. And pick your own tiles from a reputable tile retailer such as TG, TT, CTD etc. Not the £3.99 per m2 from BnQ (Brutally Naff Quality).

When your new trader comes out, ask about tanking the shower as well to prevent future damage to substrates and you might also need to look at replacing the current one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back