White stuff on brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has had a wall made in his garden last week and now patches of white flaky stuff is appearing and as I drive round my estate I can see the same on most walls.
I am looking to have a wall built soon and I do not want the same to happen.
Can any one tell me what it is and if so can it be prevented? Cheers

Sponsored Links
its teh salts from the brickwork and cement coming thgrough. its only temporary and will stop after a while. you cant stop it, some bricks do it more than others, just needs brushing off.

It is efflorescence season.

We all got it.

It will eventually go after about ten Spring seasons. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The white stuff on your bricks is called Efflorescence. Efflorescence is a white crystalline or powdery, often fluffy/fuzzy deposit on the surface of masonry materials like concrete, brick, clay tile, etc. It's caused by water seeping through the wall/floor/object. The water dissolves salts inside the object while moving through it, then evaporates leaving the salt on the surface.

It can be relatively easy to remove compared to some other stains. Often these salts are water soluble and, if outside, may disappear of their own accord with normal weathering. This is particularly true of "new-building bloom." The water soluble salts can be removed by dry brushing or with water and a stiff brush. Heavy accumulation or stubborn deposits of white efflorescence salts can usually be removed with a solution of muriatic acid and scrubbing (1 part acid to 12 parts water -- this is a real acid, follow precautions on the label). Wet the surface well before and after the solution is applied.

Less common salts, that change their chemical structure during efflorescence formation, require proprietary compounds to remove.

Hope this helps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back