Whitest floor paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm converting part of my double garage into a photography studio (where the walls & floor are going to be painted brilliant white). I need advice on the floor paint...

What I'd really want is a brilliant white garage floor paint but these don't seem to exist (you can get white but not brilliant white). This also seems largely true of interior floor paints as well but I have spotted a wickes own brand which is brilliant white

9YEGDTZl.jpg

Can anyone suggest other options?

I know some studios just use a (relatively) durable wall paint (say acrylic based) and just accept they have to repaint frequently to clean/repair the finish, but really I'd like something which would have more longevity.

Sponsored Links
Why does it have to be brilliant white? Just out of interest. Not sure what type of photography you are doing, but can you not just light the background a little more to compensate if you want it completely blown?

Always just painted often myself, impossible to keep clean when walking on it.

Why does it have to be brilliant white? Just out of interest. Not sure what type of photography you are doing, but can you not just light the background a little more to compensate if you want it completely blown?

Always just painted often myself, impossible to keep clean when walking on it.

I suppose I've already got the walls brilliant white and just wanted it all to match to be as seamless as possible (it didn't occur to me that brilliant white floor paint would be so hard to find when I started the project).

From my reading it does appear that most photographers (with a painted floor) just accept that they have to regularly repaint and while I'm perfectly happy to give it a annual coat when you hear cases of photographers repainting after every session part of you must think they're either OCD or using the wrong paint (as most seem to be using matt wall paints). Probably not as I can't be the first to consider floor paint.

Oh, ok, you mentioned they were going to be brilliant white, not that you'd already painted them.

Not too sure if the snappers who paint after every session have OCD! Just professionalism. When you shoot things that are messy etc, you don't want to keep paying out for more expensive floor paint. I can remember painting the floor after driving a car in for a shoot, then repainting it afterwards once the shoot was over ready for the next project. Not a lot can be done with the mess that a tyre makes when it's been driven on mucky roads and then into a pristine studio. I think you'll be surprised how often it gets dirty and the reason (probably) why it gets painted so often.

Good luck with your search for brilliant white paint!

Sponsored Links
Not a lot can be done with the mess that a tyre makes when it's been driven on mucky roads and then into a pristine studio. I think you'll be surprised how often it gets dirty and the reason (probably) why it gets painted so often.

I don't expect my floor would be subject to such demanding needs... would garage floor paint not provide a surface which would withstand if not light car traffic then at least modest foot traffic which is cleanable? or would the effort to scrub it clean be worse than recoating it?

And yes you're probably right by how reality will hit me once I've had a few sessions on it (whatever paint ends up on the floor).

I will ask if you thought through about your wickes floor paint, and if it's glossy? Any sheen will create hot-spots and color shifts. Always matt paint for a studio. Perhaps that's why snappers are forever painting their floors, because the matt paint marks easily?

However, as you know everything, *cheeky grins* so I'll bow to you and wish you all the luck :D :LOL:

I will ask if you thought through about your wickes floor paint, and if it's glossy? Any sheen will create hot-spots and color shifts. Always matt paint for a studio. Perhaps that's why snappers are forever painting their floors, because the matt paint marks easily?

However, as you know everything, *cheeky grins* so I'll bow to you and wish you all the luck :D :LOL:

Sadly I think all the garage/floor paints have a semi-glossy finish so it seems to be a case of pick your poison... do I gamble on something which might save me some recoating but might throw up photographic problems. Or just stick on the tub of vinyl matt wall paint I already have and accept the frequent recoating.

Out of interest do you use a vinyl or a more expensive acrylic paint for your floor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back