Whitewash flaked off - how to improve recipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I no longer recall the exact recipe used by I believe the only ingredients were hydrated lime, water and salt. I've read that cement can be added but I imagine that will grey the colour. Does anyone have anything they've tried and tested? I've read of adding glue flakes (what glue?) or skimmed milk but hope I can benefit from the testament of people here.

Edit: It didn't flake of entirely, but enough to require that I do it again.

Sponsored Links
is there something unusual about the building that leads you to use whitewash?

is there something unusual about the building that leads you to use whitewash?

No; my mum just asked that I whitewash it. It seems to be a lot cheaper than masonry paint but of course that doesn't mean a lot if I can't get it to stay on the wall... would you say that they both look the same when new and properly done? If that's the case, I might scour off the loose lime wash, and apply masonry paint.

Sponsored Links
they are different

I think masonry paint looks much better. Also is washable and lasts longer.

Thin the first coat with water so it soaks in and kills the suction. For an exposed wall IMO you get better protection if you apply two thinned coats. You will see the difference once the wall is primed, as the next coat doesn't disappear.

Limewash is breathable and it is not advisable to use masonry paint on a wall that is supposed to breath , it will bubble off eventually and could damage the fabric of the building..
If you want a tougher limewash you can add a small amount of linseed oil to the mix or you can make a distemper, you will have to look it up but there is plenty of info out there.
Also you cannot just slap limewash onto a wall , it will craze and flake off if you mix it too thick and apply to thick a coat.

A 50/50 mix of lime putty and water will make a good limewash, wet the wall first as lime wash doesnt set by drying out , it carbonates and needs to be wet to do so. If the wall is dry the wall will suck the moisture out of the limewash and dry it too quickly.

Use a large brush and put thin coats on at a time , it will be translucent until it carbonates and it will then turn bright white, you will need 3 or 4 coats depending on what you are painting over and you will need to leave 24 hours between coats. I usually do one or two a week end and do it over a couple of week ends.
You can mist it once or twice with a garden mister if you think it is drying out too quick, the kind you pump up is good.

In my view limewash looks much much better than masonry paint , especially on a period property/cottage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back