who can help me ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
about 8 months ago we had a brand new upvc front door fitted, by a upvc windows and doors manufacturer..about a month ago the facia panels that they put on the side of the walls are coming away from the wall and are leaving a big gap, also some of the silicone sealant is coming away from the upvc facia..ive rang the comapny several times, always say they will come and fix it but never bother...who can i take my problem to ?..i was thinking of trading standards ?...or is their a specific body that i can contact ?..im assuming this company is fensa registered..i have the receipt from them and as i understand upvc doors should be gauranteed for 10 years..

Sponsored Links
yes might have to, ill ring them once more if no joy then i will go and see them, may get TS involved if they dont fix it..

From my experience, unless you go legal (not worth it for a door), you are basically screwed unless they decide to come round and fix it.

Trading standards won't want to know as they have to focus their time on misspelling/scams as opposed to people doing a bad job, (that's not a criticism of them, it would be far to expensive for trading standards to enforce good workmanship).

The most any company they are registered with will do is de-register them, unless they have had other complaints, they will probably ignore one person complaining about a few bits of plastic.

Personally I would just fix it myself, I don't "do" plastic, but I would guess all they did was mastic the fascias on, it shouldn't be hard to fix. Someone else here can better tell you how to put it right.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the fitters didn't clean the plastic properly after fitting and before trimming. The plastic has a light film of some type of oil that needs wiping off to enable the silicone to stick.

You should have got your Fensa Cert ages ago, are you sure they are actually registered? You can check here to see if they applied for a certificate http://www.fensa.co.uk/asp/certificate.asp

You can check if they are Fensa registered here http://www.fensa.co.uk/asp/member_search.asp

Fensa will only be interested if the installation did not comply with Building Regulations and as this is not a Regs issue Fensa will not get involved so forget about trying to get them to sort it out.

If they are in any other trade bodies they may be worth talking to otherwise its Trading Standards or Citizens Advice.

If it were me, I'd be ringing them twice a day until they did it, they will eventually do it just to shut you up. :p

Really though and I know its defeatist but it doesn't sound too hard to sort out yourself.

Its a long shot but you could try using your IBG, as a part of my job i get sent out by insurance companies to inspect and write reports on issues such as this, generally though its only when the installers have ceased trading and the homeowner is claiming on the IBG but sometimes i've been asked to look at jobs even though the company is still trading.......safe style is one :eek:

Try your insurer, worth a go, they could force the installer to come back

still no joy, still havnt come around, i tried the links above but nothing is showing..just goes to show how these companies dont give a ****e about after sales service once they have your money...i can fix it myself or at least try but why should i ?..i have paid good money for a product and service and i expect it to be of a certain standard...makes my blood boil when companies do this to the working man...sadly that is what this moey and greed orientated world has come to, people dont have any morals anymore...i suppose gunning some "no nails" adhesive behind the facia may or may not do the trick....then i have to reseal the edgings of the panel as well as its come away from the wall..at the moment its just stuck onto the wall...

still no joy, still havnt come around, i tried the links above but nothing is showing..just goes to show how these companies dont give a s***te about after sales service once they have your money...i can fix it myself or at least try but why should i ?..i have paid good money for a product and service and i expect it to be of a certain standard...makes my blood boil when companies do this to the working man...sadly that is what this moey and greed orientated world has come to, people dont have any morals anymore...i suppose gunning some "no nails" adhesive behind the facia may or may not do the trick....then i have to reseal the edgings of the panel as well as its come away from the wall..at the moment its just stuck onto the wall...

Iadmire your views on 'rights and wrongs.
I dont agree with the people who say 'fix it yourself'-- BUT- they have a point- considering it is inexpensive to do so.
So- a eye for a eye and a tooth for a tooth.--
It really is a simple fix for anyone who knows what to do.
Do not do it yourself.

Then- all you have to do is go on line and put on some really truthful reviews of the company who have messed you about .
That will be pay back time .

I really do know how you feel.
Calm down- and just get 'even'.

This will guarantee to work.

Phone them first thing in the morning (approx. 9am and take their name) and ask to for the manager.

When they ask why then tell them about your problem.
If you can not speak to a manager, (ask his name) tell them you will call back in 15 MINUTES unless you hear from him.
Keep ringing every 15 MINUTES.
If someone else answers the phone when you ring again tell them the whole story and take their name.
If he is not in the office ask for a mobile number, they will refuse to give it to you but when you ring back you can say give me his number a I will call him direct.
By 12 o'clock you would have spoken to a manager. You will then ask for someone to come round ASAP. Make sure you get a date and time within 2 days.

If you can get the managers mobile number do as above.

This has worked for me many times regarding owed money, faulty goods and lots more.

Andy

I would not bother phoning again, you have done enough of that. It just wastes your time, gets you stressed, heated arguments can happen, and if it goes legal there is no record of what's gone on, and going on.

Trading standards will tell you the following.

Put your complaint in writing to them.
List the times you have already telephoned them in your letter.
Keep it to the point, be polite and firm with the format
Quote your statutory rights as a consumer as their own 10 year guarantee is really irrelevant as the job should be fit for the purpose and you have consumer rights even with work done. And them knowing your consumer rights lets them know you mean business.
Finish your letter by requesting they give you a date, IN WRITING to rectify the problem.
And say, if they do not respond in writing within 7 days you will arrange to have the work put right yourself and then invoice them for the work done. And finally, say, If required you will peruse financial recovery and compensation through the county court.

Applying to the County Court is no big deal, not expensive and can be done on line.

Don't give into them and just do it yourself as some are suggesting.

Bad trades people have to get their comeuppance.

Good luck.

I would not bother phoning again, you have done enough of that. It just wastes your time, gets you stressed, heated arguments can happen, and if it goes legal there is no record of what's gone on, and going on.

Quote your statutory rights as a consumer as their own 10 year guarantee is really irrelevant as the job should be fit for the purpose and you have consumer rights even with work done. And them knowing your consumer rights lets them know you mean business.
Finish your letter by requesting they give you a date, IN WRITING to rectify the problem.
And say, if they do not respond in writing within 7 days you will arrange to have the work put right yourself and then invoice them for the work done. And finally, say, If required you will peruse financial recovery and compensation through the county court.

Applying to the County Court is no big deal, not expensive and can be done on line.

Good luck.
SMALL claims court.
But- make sure you have lots of photos- and keep every record of correspondence. Log all your calls to the assholes- .
Just get every last bit of info/ phone calls/text messages etc written down.
Too many traders get the good traders a bad name. They need their asses spanking.

ps-- forget Trading Standards-- they will be no help. However- contact them anyway- (just for the record) make sure you 'log it' and keep the name of the person you spoke to.

Good luck.
SMALL claims court.
But- make sure you have lots of photos- and keep every record of correspondence. Log all your calls to the assholes- .
Too many traders get the good traders a bad name. They need their asses spanking.

ps-- forget Trading Standards-- they will be no help. However- contact them anyway- (just for the record) make sure you 'log it' and keep the name of the person you spoke to.

You are correct that it will be a Small Claim but there is not a small claims court. It will be a Small Claim Hearing, though the County Court. So Goofy Gorilla only need to threaten County Court action.
And yes a few bad traders do give us a bad name.

Good luck.
SMALL claims court.

You are correct that it will be a Small Claim but there is not a small claims court. It will be a Small Claim Hearing, though the County Court. So Goofy Gorilla only need to threaten County Court action.
And yes a few bad traders do give us a bad name.

A few 'tradesmen too Steve'.
Take a look at the 'tradesmen' that are trying to give me a hard time lately regaring a claim' here on tradetalk.
Especially that cleaner who drinks too much . count dracula. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back