Who can move a gas meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gas meter in my kitchen wall cupboard. I'd like to have it moved as far up the wall as possible.

I reckon that the gas mains with its stopcock/emergency valve could stay in the same position as there seems to be some slack in the flexible metal hose which runs from the stopcock to the input of the meter.

1) In this case, what kind of workman with what qualifications could move it up the wall?

2) I reckon more slack could be gained from the flexible hose if the connection where it couples with the input of the gas meter (ie the regulator) could be turned about 90 degrees to face the stopcock. In this case, what kind of workman with what qualifications could move it up the wall?

3) I reckon MUCH MORE slack could be gained by replacing the the flexible metal hose which runs from the gas stopcock to the input of the meter with a longer flexible metal hose, if one existed. Does one exist? In this case what kind of workman with what qualifications could move it up the wall?

Sponsored Links
It is generally considered that any RGI can move a meter within the limits of the flexible pipe.

Some will extend the input pipe although many say only the transporter should do that.

The meter and EC should be in the same area and within sight of each other.

The normal way in your case would be to extend the inlet pipe before the EC.

Tony

Surely the inlet can be extended in copper after the EC valve to the new meter position and the outlet the same. If it's all in the same cupboard, then it will comply and can be done by RGI with meter ticket.

Sponsored Links
When I wanted to move my meter I rang Transco and they told me a RGI can move the meter upto 1.5 m vertically. Which happened to be about the distance I needed mine to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back