Who ought I to consult?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, experts:

On the two chimney stacks of our house are three aluminium gas cowls (one on one stack, and two on the other). They were fitted many years ago by builders, when roofing and pointing work was done. (Gas fires had been installed much earlier, and I seem to remember that the stainless steel duct up the chimneys led simply to the old chimney pots, though I could be mistaken about that. Alternatively, it may be that the cowls were fitted when the fires were installed, then the builders built up the concrete capping on the stacks, to a height that did harm to the cowls. I cannot remember clearly, now.) To me, it seems that the people that fitted the gas cowls (or, alternatively, that capped the stacks), did a poor job of it, in that around the cylinder of these fairly small cowls are vertical flutes (where fumes are emitted). These flutes don't end a few inches above the cement capping on top of the chimney, and therefore allow the flute edges to drain onto the cement capping, then run off the slope of it. Instead, they are sunk right into the cement of the capping, so that in heavy rain, the rain can run down these edges and into the chimney. In the night, during heavy rain, a dripping sound can be heard in the bedroom. Sometimes, this carries on for over an hour, and, if I put my ear to the vent in the chimney breast, I can tell that the dripping is inside the chimney. Of course, this is very unsatisfactory, and I should like to have something done about the situation — perhaps have new cowls, properly fitted, or perhaps have covering-plates fitted to the tops of the cowls, to provide a broad, rain-proof shield for them.

Now, here is the problem: Whatever needs to be done, I don't know who I ought to ask to do this work. If a builder were asked, he may not have the required knowledge of the right kind of cowls to fit (and fit them badly anyway). If I ask a heating engineer, he may not be happy to go up on a roof to do work, while, if I ask a roofer, it is outside his remit. So, if I am to be sure of having appropriate work done, the right kind of cowls (if these need to be replaced) or remedial covers fitted, what kind of firm ought I to consult?

Please advise if you can.
With thanks in anticipation,
A.W.

Sponsored Links
Good question. I don't think you will know until you know exactly what needs to be done. I would instruct a general builder but on the basis that if the flue or cowl needs to be altered time will be allowed for inspection by a gassafe engineer. I would then instruct the gasesafe engineer to check and test the flue on completion. Do you have carbon monoxide detectors? If not I would advise fitting some hard wired ones anyway. They are life savers.

Do you now have three gas fires in operation?

Do any of your flues have flue liners? Is the "stainless steel duct" connected to a gas fire?

Pics of the stacks would help?

Re-flaunching and fitting appropriate terminals is straightforward for any professional roofer (or plumber who does roof work).

Having glanced at your previous posts i would suggest that you should simply describe the difficulty - dont prescribe.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, the responses to my question did not arrive in my email as they have done in the past, and I did not think to look, thinking that no one had responded. Anyway, there are two gas fires in operation. The third chimney has the chimney-breast sealed off (no fireplace there).

Thanks for the response. I can't obtain pictures that would help — they would be too small to be of any use. The gas cowls themselves are quite small.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back