who,s to blame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I built a stone wall for a contractor 3 years ago which has blown , this winter just gone , I built the wall in the summer, so do I repoint for free or say sorry mate cant help you, the contactor no longer trades.

Sponsored Links
I built a stone wall for a contractor 3 years ago which has blown , this winter just gone , I built the wall in the summer, so do I repoint for free or say sorry mate cant help you, the contactor no longer trades.

Who paid who? Strictly speaking, if the end client paid the contractor, who paid you, you have no liability. The consumer has only a contract with their supplier, unless there is a contract to the contrary.

I used a 6.1.1 mix as I do on all my stonework and its blown this winter , never had any problems like this before on all the walls ive done

the client paid the contractor and the contractor paid me , the clients were very nice people tea and cakes everyday so it makes it worse , I also built a large brickwall their as well with no problems.

i,ve just had an email from the contractor to say he will get someone else to do it if I dont and then bill me !

any advice lads ??

Sponsored Links
How long would it take you to re-point Vs legal proceedings which can be expensive & risky, as you state the Clients were decent and assuming this is not the great Wall of China I would be leaning towards sorting it out ;)

I've just had an email from the contractor to say he will get someone else to do it if I don't and then bill me !

You said the contractor no longer trades. Is he a sole trader ot Ltd. Was everything recorded properly, and did you have any contracts?

Is it a big deal to sort out? (I am obviously not a builder)

Fireman makes a valid point, if he no longer trades how is he still involved in the process?

Also, can you just clarify what you mean by blown, and how significant the damage is?

the frost has had it , basically the top 10 to 20 mm of mortar has perished , never had a wall blow 2 years after I built it though and the larger brick wall we done is sound

who supplied the materials??
if you have done everything right something else is to blame??

if he no longer trades how is he still involved in the process?

If they paid him, their contract is with him and not perusable through you as a subcontractor (AFAIK).

Sponsored Links
Back