Whole House Heat Recovery Ventilation System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at the possibility of self-installing a MVHR (Mechanical Ventilation and Heat Recovery) into the loft space with the intention of increasing ventilation in the first floor rooms (1984 property). Having doing some research this is notifiable works and requires planning permission. With the prevalence of kits available I wonder how many people are aware and get permission?

Sponsored Links
We did a total refurb of our house, knocked down internal walls and changed the whole structure. We have three floors and run ducting everywhere and put a MVHR in the garage (or rather, we will put it in when the time comes). right now all the duct work is in place across three floors. Our private building regs inspector wanted to know the details of the MVHR unit and also how the duct runs would go. You need to ensure you have fire collars in certain places where it crosses from the garage up to the first floor rooms etc. Maybe not in your case but check with the local council building officer.

Also need to make sure that ducting is properly insulated if in the loft to avoid condensation.

I was not aware that ventilation systems need planning permission

Sorry not planning permission but building regs yes.

Sponsored Links
If I went ahead a self installed a MVHR system without obtaining the building regs certification what is the consequences for this? When I come to sell the house in the future I simply shut all vents and disconnect pipes in the loft.

Is that just like knocking a new opeing through the walls and fitting a set of doors, but just closing them when it comes to sell?

Is that just like knocking a new opeing through the walls and fitting a set of doors, but just closing them when it comes to sell?

Your level of wittiness grows with age I see.

Last edited:
If I went ahead a self installed a MVHR system without obtaining the building regs certification what is the consequences for this? When I come to sell the house in the future I simply shut all vents and disconnect pipes in the loft.

For the cost of £240 or whatever v the few £xxxxs you spent, why not just regularise it properly? Last thing you want is to be to told you haven't fire protected it properly.

Your diy attempt at getting some fresh air in the house might actually result in smoke being pumped around in the event of a fire, not properly fire protecting the ducting. You got kids?

Last edited:
ey143, you are quite right about the fire aspect, I have been researching a bit into this, and there are some quite nice fire rated vents:

http://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/fire-rated-ceiling-air-valve.html

When is it ever correct to use the common 'cheap' plastic fittings, surely in any situation when the ceiling has been cut these should not be used?

It also seems to be the case that none of the MVHR systems I have seen advertised, have any form of smoke detection to switch off the fans. Seem to rely on various forms of intumescent systems to collapse the pipe.

Im incorporating a zwave home automation system in my rebuild project so will fit a zwave relay in the spur socket so that if smoke is detected in any of the rooms (I have planned for zwave smoke sensors in each room) it will switch off the power to the swtich.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back