Why all the bg engineer bashing?

The norm around here is; the CPSs(cowboys in polo shirts) say to the customers, 'Aye luv, your systems needs a powerflush, but me & ma pal will do it on a Saturday for half of what SG would charge'. B&Q carpark is full of blue SG vans after 5.00pm every day, they do more homers than anyone else.

Sponsored Links
a friend's mother was quoted £7000 for a 4 bed installation

would this have been done by BG?

no - subbed out to local firms and a massive cut taken.
They were doing that in the `70s. I ended up as the fitter - self employed sub/sub contract - It paid a wage during the copper shortage ;)

Delta we even had managers doing that so easy back in the olden times ;)

"Why all the bg engineer bashing?"
"We have over 7500 engineers working for us there's always going to be a few bad apples."

Your question contains a part of the answer.

You're not an engineer. BG tell the public that they have "7500 engineers working for us" and Joe and Josephine Public don't know any better since they know nothing about engineering.

It's a bit sad that BG can tell their "7500 engineers" that they are Engineers and the 7500 don't know enough about engineering to know that they're not.

Your homework for this week is to find out what an Engineer does. They don't fix boilers or washing machines. Recommended reading; 'Slide Rule; Autobiography of an Engineer' by Nevil Shute.

PS I can only speak from personal experience, but I found BG to be incompetent, dangerous and dishonest; I have the documents to back that up, should I ever need to. They also have a lot of shareholders and directors who have to be maintained in the lifestyle to which they are accustomed, so they'll never be competitive with a competent independent RGI.

Sponsored Links
Whilst delving into Nevil Shute's books, try his novel 'On the beach'.

Very alarming, given the situation in Syria.

Whilst delving into Nevil Shute's books, try his novel 'On the beach'.Very alarming, given the situation in Syria.

Or Iran.

Also try 'Trustee from the Toolroom' or 'Round the Bend'. ;)
He didn't use his surname (Norway) for his writing because writing novels might have been viewed as an 'unprofessional' pastime for an engineer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevil_Shute

"His heroes tended to be middle class: solicitors, doctors, accountants, bank managers, engineers. Usually, like himself, they had enjoyed the privilege of university, not then within the purview of the lower classes. However (as in Trustee from the Toolroom), Shute valued the honest artisan and his social integrity and contributions to society, more than the contributions of the upper classes."

Whilst delving into Nevil Shute's books, try his novel 'On the beach'.Very alarming, given the situation in Syria.

Or Iran.

Also try 'Trustee from the Toolroom' or 'Round the Bend'. ;)
He didn't use his surname (Norway) for his writing because writing novels might have been viewed as an 'unprofessional' pastime for an engineer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevil_Shute

"His heroes tended to be middle class: solicitors, doctors, accountants, bank managers, engineers. Usually, like himself, they had enjoyed the privilege of university, not then within the purview of the lower classes. However (as in Trustee from the Toolroom), Shute valued the honest artisan and his social integrity and contributions to society, more than the contributions of the upper classes."

Oh FFS!! Who flushed out the little Englander Sports Jacket & Flannels Brigade??!! I can smell the moth balls from here........... :LOL:

Engineers my a.se, oily rag middle class tw.ts!!

Oh FFS!! Who flushed out the little Englander Sports Jacket & Flannels Brigade??!! I can smell the moth balls from here........... :LOL:

Engineers my a.se, oily rag middle class tw.ts!!

Thanks for that, Mr. Puller, it neatly illustrates the point.

Shutes' attitudes are probably a bit dated, but then he's been dead for 60 years.

The major difference was that Britain then was the heart of the world's engineering industry. The 'upper classes', the unions and the benefit state have since destroyed that and the engineers, tool-makers and artisans have either emigrated, died or started selling insurance, solar panels or double-glazing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back