why do i bother

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, but im going to have a rant now. Its coming up to summer, and im very busy at work (hooray). I get a phone call from a small company of accountants that i do general maintenance work for. "weve got to hand back some of our offices in two days time, as the lease runs out, can you come in and move that signboard you put up a few months ago? oh and can you do it after hours, dont worry about a quote"
So i go in one evening, and do it. its a heavy board and fragile and its difficult to get a fixing in the plaster and lath wall, but i get it done. Its ruined my evening, ive travelled in, but they are a good customer so i put an invoice in for £50.00
I get an e-mail today querying it saying, it should have been half that and isnt it a bit short sighted to charge that much when theres the prospect of more work!
I sent back a very succint e-mail listing the process of the work, and pointing out the short notice and time it was carried out, also pointing out how offended i am at the tone and the questioning of my honesty.
Upshot is theyve agreeded to pay it, but no apology.

Why is it you put yourself out for people on samll jobs, bend over backwards and all you get is grief.

Sorry rant over ;)

Sponsored Links
if its of any use, i stick to the following.

NEVER do anything without a quote:

NEVER do "just this" or "can you just" it always goes wrong

I've got a drawer full of favours upstairs and i have just realised they don't pay the bills! ;)

I am the kind of idiot who offers and does help anybody, what happens, i always get **** on.

So my rule now has to be even though it's hard to enforce, never help anybody ferk em all.

If i had to do that job i would have charged twice that amount for ruining my evening, and the promise of xtra work is garbage.

Someone once said to me anybody can always be a busy fool, i wish i had heeded that advice many times over, i think it's best to do one job and get a thousand pounds but no more work, but to work all hours for £50 jobs and never have any time to yourself.

Sponsored Links
All the professions are exactly the same they want something for nothing but charge you the earth for work usually done by their secretaries. Not meaning to be racist here but some of the ethnics are the worst for this. They get dozens of quotes, try to chip you and then crawl on their hands and knees looking for the slightest scratch or WHY to try to avoid paying.
Best avoided if at all possible.

chaps, you are all absolutly right, i normally never work without a fully itemised written quote and acceptance in writing, you live and learn. I have to say i was extremly forthright but polite in my reply, and yes i probably should have charged more. i bloody will next time!

a small company of accountants

Unfortunately the answer was right there in front of you. Part of an accountants job is to get as much as possible for as little as possible. From their point of view, paying up without querying the bill is the equivalent of fitting a boiler and not testing for gas leaks.

Don't get mad, get even. Next time they want a job done use their own tactics and charge them for every last nut and bolt.

Thermo said:
Upshot is theyve agreeded to pay it,

Freudian slip, there, Thermo mate!!

I did some work for a solicitors in Stockport (who shall remain nameless).

I also bent over backwards to help. They took forever (over 4 months) to pay it. Only when I threatened them with legal action did they pay!

They also said, "Stupid act on your part - we've got loads more work...."

My response? "I don't want to work for you if you pay late and don't appreciate the efforts I make to make things run smoothly for you. Find another mug if you can, but be warned I shall post an advert in the local press warning all traders of your reluctance to pay."

I did just that, and was threatened with court action. It was EXTREMELY satisfying to talk to the Md of the solicitors, explaining to him calmly that he could not possibly persuade any judge in the land to prosecute me for telling the truth.

He dropped the case and sent a letter of apology.

i was thinking, i bet thermo will not get any more work from them, but perhaps it will be just as well, then again you may get work from them putting right the jobs they have done by a.n.other

breezer, you may be right, but to be honest i dont really care. if i do, as felix says, they will be charged for every single minute and screw.

securespark said:
, but be warned I shall post an advert in the local press warning all traders of your reluctance to pay."

I did just that,

Please, please, PLEASE tell me you kept a copy of the paper and can scan it in for us! Blank out anything you feel might cause you trouble (i.e. the firm name), but I would love to see this advert! :LOL:

Ok, the best of good intentions often go wrong. However sometimes a little job sneaks up to restore you faith.

I actually think things are too mixed up and too fancy. I often prefer to do things off the cuff and without formal quotes. However this only ever works for real people, not law firms nor solicitors. Things can still go wrong for real people, but it feels so good when it goes right, they get a good job done and know they've not been done.

I like real people. They bring you cups of tea with chocy biccies and seem kind of sad to see the job finished!

Adam, sorry, mate....

But the ad went something like this -

WARNING TO ALL TRADESMEN

PLEASE BE WARNED THAT IF YOU ARE PUTTING IN QUOTES FOR WORK REQUESTED BY XYZ CO LTD OF XXXXXXXXX ADDRESS, FROM MY EXPERIENCE IT WILL BE A MATTER OF AT LEAST 13 WEEKS BEFORE YOU RECEIVE SETTLEMENT, AND ONLY THEN AFTER THE THREAT OF LEGAL ACTION AGAINST THE COMPANY.
Simon Abbott, Secure Electrical Services. Phone 01XX XXX XXXX

I tried to keep it very simple and only state the absolute truth, that which cannot be denied or misconstrued, as I did not want to face legal action myself.

loublou,
you are right. Ive been doing a complete garden landscaping job for a family while they are away on holiday for two weeks. The house is on a shared drive, and at times weve had to cause them inconvenience and block the drive with deliveries etc. Weve obviously told them exactly whats happening and theyve had to put up with noise and dust as well. Is she annoyed....no. Shes bought out tea everyday, been tapping up other neighbours for work for us and been a general good all round egg. Now if she asked me to do some work, i would quite happily do it and at as good a price as i could for her. It does restore your faith :D

Sponsored Links
Back