Why do you need two plastic washers when fitting a tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The guy at the shed and one of my DIY books says you need two plastic washers when fitting a tap.

I fitted a tap as described, one plastic washer between tap and top of sink and another between back nut and bottom of sink.

The tap would NOT sit still. I could not stop it moving left or right.

In the end I took off the top plastic washer (between tap and sink top) and did up again. Now the tap stays solid and doesn't move at all. I dumped a lot of water on the tap and not a drop leaked through to the tail (presume the backnut washer got it all).

So why are we supposed to do this? And if I am committing a sin against construction by omitting the top washer what should I do to stop the tap spinning?

Sponsored Links
Stop you damaging the ceramic but yeah its to form a seal however I never use it that way. A small bit of cured silicone for me.

In England we put a rubber washer on the top so that the tap body does not turn but grips and a nylon wahser underneath for the back nut to slip on, so that the force of turning the nut is converted to pull down force on the tap without the unwanted side effect of rotating the tap. After a tap is correctly fitted in this way it will not rotate and it will be well held.

Any manufacturer that does not understand this process and so does not supply the correct materials is worth avoiding no matter how pleasing to the eye their product.

The scenario op suggests sounds like a nightmare for a real plumber in which custard has bougfht own tap on ebay because it looks pretty and is cheap, but is not fit for purpose.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back