why does light swich set alarm off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an intermitant problemwith my house alarm.Occasionally when I enter the garage where the control panel is, also a PIR near a light switch, when I turn lights on, the alarm goes off showing tamper circuit.However it resets straight away, not allowing me to locate fault. Could the switch be affecting the system? It may only happen every 2-3 months as today.The alarm is not set when it happens.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the alarm battery? What sometimes happens when the battery is bad is that the light momentarily steals the power from the alarm and you get a micro power cut which will usually show up as a tamper fault. (Due to voltage drop across the global circuit.)

A fresh battery will prevent the volt drop.

Hi, I changed the battery probablya couple of years ago, haven,t checked it since.How would a light switch starve the battery of power when the system is on ring main not lighting circuit? I am no sparky but I will check the battery. It happened today again ,first time for monthsalthough I use the switch at least dozens of times every day. I wondered if it was maybe a type of magnetic field by the switch.If it would only stop on long enough to trace it I have a strip light on that switch, woderif that would affect it?thanks for info

I've been working with alarms for over 20 years and I've so far never had a problem with electromagnetic interference.

The only other thing I can think of is a voltage spike.

Sponsored Links
Hi Joe, I had thought of power surge, yet it only occurs when I use that switch. I will change the battery, do you think the strip light could affect it? I defer to your experience.thanks

Strip lights are well known sources of problems. Do you have a fresh starter?

No,but as I have 2 lights in garage i can isolate the strip and try it,even change to another fitting.thanks. thats what i will do first then change battery 2nd.cheers

I've been working with alarms for over 20 years and I've so far never had a problem with electromagnetic interference.

except you then say "Strip lights are well known sources of problems. Do you have a fresh starter"

somone been googling?

O/P you can spend a small fortune trying to cure this problem.

except you then say "Strip lights are well known sources of problems. Do you have a fresh starter"

somone been googling?

O/P you can spend a small fortune trying to cure this problem.

Are you on drugs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back