Why don't plumbers insulate hot water pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A minor point, but I always wonder why it is that plumbers are so reluctant to insulate domestic hot water pipes. I have asked several plumbers and I always get the reply "no need, the heat stays in the house". The point is we want the heat to stay in the water and not go wandering! The result of uninsulated pipes is a lot of inconvenience and wasted water as people run the tap longer than would otherwise be needed to get the hot water. I have found that even properly trained and experience plumbers will not do it unless pushed.

Have other people found the same?

Sponsored Links
Part L1

All the pipes connected to a hot water vessel (including the primary flow and return connections and the vent pipe) should be insulated for at least a metre in length or up to the point at which they are concealed.

The Best Practice standard is that the primary pipework is insulated throughout its length.

THe reason many plumbers don't, is that they have all F****d themselves on price to get the job, the pipe lagging costs as much as the copper pipe it is insulating :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
noddy14";p="1685095 said:
A minor point, but I always wonder why it is that plumbers are so reluctant to

how big is the house , in alot of smaller properts I doubt wether insulating a hot water pipe , would amount to very much at all ??
As for insulating , go to some older propertys how many layers of paint are on there radiators ? saw some figures ounce which made ref to this , dunno were I put them now !!

I always wonder why it is that plumbers are so reluctant to insulate domestic hot water pipes
Because they get away with not doing it.
If you only knew, there are countless regs which are widely ignored!

I would also expect to insulate all hot water supply pipes.

Tony

I always wonder why it is that plumbers are so reluctant to insulate domestic hot water pipes

Very few so called qualified know this Chris. ;)

I would also expect to insulate all hot water supply pipes.

Tony

But your not a Plumber Tony, post a photo of an install from below one of your boilers please :D

If most ? followed or adhered to every reg that was written that covered there working day most would not bother getting out of bed in the morning , & the construction industry would probably grind to a halt !!

There is not much point in insulating hot water pipes unless they are used every twenty minutes or so. After that, the pipe cools down even with insulation.

Building Regs Part L1 give clear guidelines and are legally binding -in the event that you get caught out! ;)

Than again there is a customer of ours who insisted that we put a small radiator in her airing cuboard , due to the fact that the prelagged cylinder
(un-vented ) & the pipe insulation in her view , defeated the reason for the airing cuboard , than again the fella who wrote the regs , probably did'nt think of that ?

Had that myself Tranny, In her view it was still a airing cupboard, I couldn't fault her:cool:

;)

Exactly , than there are the outside boilers ( oil) open to the elements that never switch off in the winter months , job probably gets inspected by some rules & regs bloke , who insists that a pipe in the airing cuboard should be lagged :) meanwhile the boiler is standing in the middle of the lawn chugging away on its frost stat !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back