Why is fitting a FCU notifiable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am wanting to install a ventilator in my loft and so was planning to bring a spur with a 3 plug socket from the first floor ring main up into the loft.

But the manufactures instructions say it should be wired into a fused spur and there is an FCU supplied.

But ive read fitting an FCU needs to be done by an electrician. Why if wiring a socket on a spur doesn't?

Also on a side note. Why can you not simply put a plug on the end of a 3amp FCU and plug it into a wall socket instead of wiring it into the ring main. Surely thats no different to a spur?

Cheers

Al

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Even if its supplying a heater?
It doesn't matter what it's supplying - provided that it is fed from an existing circuit (and is not in a bathroom 'zone' - where it almost certainly wouldn't be allowed, anyway), it is not notifiable - and, just as with any electrical work, it can be done by anyone competent to do it.

Kind Regards, John

Why can you not simply put a plug on the end of a 3amp FCU and plug it into a wall socket instead of wiring it into the ring main. Surely thats no different to a spur?

Why would you want or need a plug (which has a fuse), an FCU, and a socket in the loft in which you put yet another plug (which has a fuse)? Imagine a fault and all three fuses blowing.

Thanks for the replies.

I read it it my big DIY manual which I refer to when doing electrics (as that is my weakest suit).

I mainly am just paranoid of doing something that invalidates my house insurance. But equally need to do as much work as possible myself.

It didn't make sense to me thats why I asked as the same book said its fine to wire a docket on a spur?!

In answer to the follow up winston1 it was because i need to wire the fan and heater for the ventilator via an FCU - but its only convenient for me to take a single spur up to the loft. Which means I can only do the FCU as I understand it.

If I could have pluged the FCU into a socket I could have used my loft spur to put in a double socket instead and had a spare powerpoint up there.

Cheers

The spur to the loft does not need to be plugged in. It would normally be taken from the back of the socket. The spur can feed one double socket, no need for the FCU.

I know how to take a spur off winston1 the point is the unit NEEDS an FCU. So thats my whole spur used up as can only have an FCU or a socket on a single spur, not both.

My point was would there be anything majorly wrong with plugging the FCU into the socket (which is on the spur).

If I can't do that safely I need to use the spur just for the FCU you see.

I'd suspect that the unit needs fusing because the internal wiring in it will be tiny. So you'll achieve identical levels of protection EITHER by using an FCU spurred from your ring OR by spurring a 13A socket from your ring, fitting a 13A plug with a (whatever fuse is specified- probably 3amp, might even be 1 amp) onto your ventilator and plugging it in.

Bonus with the 13A socket plan- if the thing is keeping you awake at night you can use a cheap plug-in timer to knock it off overnight.

PS You say the thing NEEDS an FCU and there's one supplied- unless it is a very fancy FCU with spike suppression and unicorn filters then you don't HAVE to use it, you DO have to fuse the thing appropriately.

I know how to take a spur off winston1 the point is the unit NEEDS an FCU. So thats my whole spur used up as can only have an FCU or a socket on a single spur, not both.

My point was would there be anything majorly wrong with plugging the FCU into the socket (which is on the spur).

If I can't do that safely I need to use the spur just for the FCU you see.

It does not NEED an FCU. What about if it is sold in mainland Europe where FCUs are not used. It NEEDS protection which can be provided by an FCU, or a 13a plug with a 3a fuse, or even a dedicated MCB in the consumer unit.

Plugging an FCU into a socket would be wrong and unnecessary as there would be two similar fuses in line.

... the point is the unit NEEDS an FCU.
As has been said, it does not "need" an FCU - it needs a low rating (3A or whatever is specified) fuse. That fuse could be either in an FCU or a plug....
... So thats my whole spur used up as can only have an FCU or a socket on a single spur, not both.
Your unfused spur can supply one double socket. You could then use one of the socket outlets (with a 3A/whatever fuse in the plug) to supply your fan, leaving the other outlet available for other things. It's not very usual to feed a fan via a plug/socket, but it's electrically no different from using an FCU.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm perhaps not being that clear. There are two cables to the ventilator. A fan with DC converter AND a heater up to 500W aparently (though that seems high to me).

What they call an FCU seems to be what they suggest wiring both the fan cable and the heater cable into, before connecting to the mains.

In my mind the fan and heater should both be supplied by the same fuse so if it blows you cant have the heater working without the fan.

I agree a simple plug would be ideal, but I wouldn't be able to wire both seperate cables into 1 plug without using the FCU first in my mind? I wouldnt want to plug both cables seperately into a socket for the reason I said before regards independent fuses.

Hence my question of putting a plug on the FCU.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back