Why is my shower doing this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. New poster here. I should start by saying that I could well be the worst DIY person in the UK in that I have no idea about anything practical or how to fix things when they go wrong - but I'm keen to learn!

Anyway, I have a long running issue with my Mira Event XS Shower that I need some advice on please.

I purchased my property 2.5 years ago and the shower worked well at that time, although I do not know how long it had been there for. It always gave a very good flow and the heat was perfect for me and the missus.

However over time an issue has developed - I'll try to describe it as best as I can. I turn the power on to full (as I always have) and the water will flow. The water heat will be warm but i usually turn it up ever so slightly.

Then, after about 1 minute of this strong flow and warm heat, the shower will make a very loud 'whirring' noise, the flow will drop right off and it will sound like it's going to blow up or something. To correct this I turn the temperature knob from the red bars all the way down to the blue cold bars - so the water will go cold. The loud noise stops, the flow will return and I can then gradually increase the temperature back up to the warm level it was at - however if I do this too quickly, it just starts making the noise again and the flow drops off.

I cannot work out what is happening and it's becoming more frequent and annoying. I can't enjoy a warm shower of any decent length at the moment.

I have found that if the hot water has not been on all day and I turn it on and then get a shower, there is a high chance of this issue happening - whereas if the water has been on all day and I have a shower at night it might not happen. But then I was thinking it cant be the availability of hot water as I do get hot water eventually, I just have to drop the temperature down to cold and then build it back again.

Any comments on this issue would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
That shower is basically a pump and mixer valve in a box, the noise is due to the pump not having any water in it.

Probably air being pulled in somewhere, due to your header tank(s) not having sufficient capacity, or being full of dirt, or the inlet filler is not working properly so you are emptying the tank faster than it is refilling.

Thank you flameport

Do you think it is something I could fix myself or is it worth getting a plumber in? Bearing in mind my DIY knowledge and ability is poor.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back