Why the leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Drained and Removed rad to paint skirting. Thought it would be simple case of reconnecting but leaking where rads attach to pipe work. Rads have strange connectors - plumber who fitted rads evidently didnt want to change pipe work. Strange sliding extensions. Photo shows where leaking. I notice there are some rubber seals. Is that the issue?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
as dan said those things are sh1te. There's an oring in there that will prob be shot now. replace with a regular tail extension.

Thanks for reples. Ok i'm reasonably good at DIY but plumbing is a mystery.

Ok these tais are cr@p. How do I get them out of rad. They're round and there's nothing to grip on? What do I need to get instead - fixed tails? Where do I measure for fixed tails? Are these a standard pipe size? These look narrow? Perhaps I'll get a plumber to amend pipe work as I find every plumbing job is a leak! Respect to you plumbers!

I think the problem is that the 'free-standing radiator' has settled, or the floor has dropped (or, heaven forbid, the fitter did a crap job in the first place), taking the rad connection below the horizontal.

Presumably it has wall brackets. Are they supporting the rad properly?
Something under the feet to raise it might help.
Get rid of the telescopic extensions, as previously suggested.

Fit one of these, preferably after leveling out the connection, otherwise it will probably still be prone to leak.
View media item 61073

But the shop boy forgot the one thing that someone on the tools would know and do ?.The valve body must be tapped onto the extension as they never go all the way on by just pushing and you will end up with another leak.Leave the nut & olive loosely screwed onto the valve & tap the whole lot sharply onto the extension stem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back