Why won't my multi-point uPVC door lock anymore?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our back door is a uPVC multi-point locking door. Recently, we have been unable to lock it using the key. The door will still latch and unlatch using the handle, and when the door is closed and the handle is pushed up (as was needed to turn the key to lock it previously), we can hear the locks moving into place as normal, but the key will not actually turn. So we think the door is technically locked in this position (and indeed it cannot be opened from the outside) but I would feel happier if we could actually turn the key and lock it properly.

It feels as though there is less resistance in the handle when it is pushed upwards prior to trying to turn the key, as though something has moved out of place inside the lock.

Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Have you tried seeing if the door mechanism will lock when the door is open?

Sounds like the cylinder has gone to me. Very easy fix. Be aware though that the door isn't locked from the outside if you can't turn the key unless you have a pad handle on the outside.

Sponsored Links
Is the cylinder something we can buy and replace ourselves or would we need to consult a locksmith? I hope that the door is locked from the outside - it doesn't open when when we push the handle down. I'm not sure what a pad handle is - the handle on the outside of the door is smaller than the one on the inside - is that a pad handle?

Can anyone help I have the same problem but with the difference that when the door is open the lock seems to work quite easily but when I close it I can see that the other locks/latches fall into place but the main key operated lock doesn't work as o can only do a half turn with the key

Your door has dropped and needs to be toe and healed or tweaked up on the hinges

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back