Wiki - DIY electrical work & the law Revised

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having revised the wiki entry on notification requirements ('Part p' -> 'Statutory Instrument'), I have now made corresponding changes throughout the section on 'DIY electrical work and the law' ('Part P' -> 'DIY electrical work and the law").

Any, again comments on what I've done, or how I've done it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It maybe worth reconsidering the updates made John, as as yet the registered third-party certification has not yet been allowed. As it seems that as a member of a competent person scheme (one who can self-cert his own work) are not automatically authorised/entitled to certificate work done by others.
As I understanding the powers that be are reviewing this and news shall be with us regarding this latter in the year. (even though I was told otherwise by my scheme provider, when asked the relevant questions, once I seen the approved draft)

There is an article in The ESC magazine Switched on issue 29, page 7 That discuses this.

It maybe worth reconsidering the updates made John, as as yet the registered third-party certification has not yet been allowed. As it seems that as a member of a competent person scheme (one who can self-cert his own work) are not automatically authorised/entitled to certificate work done by others.
I thought I had made it pretty clear that there were uncertainties about the 'third-party certification, and that, as of July 2013, no 'third-party-certifiers' (or schemes) seem to exist, when I wrote:
The April 2013 change in the regulations in England (but not Wales) also introduced the option for someone not registered with one of the schemes to undertake 'notifiable' electrical work under the supervision of a 'registered third party certifier' who would then certify the work, and report that certification to LABC, in a similar fashion to the way in which 'self-certified' work is dealt with. However, such an option requires the 'registered third party certifier' to be appointed and involved before work starts. As of July 2013, it is not clear as to whether this option is being utilised at all, not the least because no mechanism for electricians to be 'registered' as 'third-party certifiers' seems yet to exist.
However, I'll welcome other thoughts about this. It can easily be removed if that's what people want (indeed, you could remove it youself if you wanted - such is a wiki!).

Kind Regards, John

I thought it worth pointing out, backed up with the link, that at the moment it is clear that the use of a "registered third party certifier" is not permitted.
I will leave any editing/updating to your discretion.
But happy to see some of the dated information being revised, and I applaud you for that.

Sponsored Links
I thought it worth pointing out, backed up with the link, that at the moment it is clear that the use of a "registered third party certifier" is not permitted.
When you say 'not permitted', are you saying anything different from my saying that there are, as yet, no 'registered third-party-certifiers'/schemes? Approved Doc P, which presumably reflects the government's view of the legislation, seems to think that it is 'permitted' under law (if/when registered third-party-sertifiers exist!) - I wonder if it actually appears in the amendement of the legislation? BAS?
I will leave any editing/updating to your discretion. But happy to see some of the dated information being revised, and I applaud you for that.
Thanks. I don't think that I will do anything unless/until I hear some more views about this - although, in the meantime, anyone who feels strongly can obviously change it themselves.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back