wild plant next to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just found out there is a wild plant (shrub? don't know the name) next to the external brick wall of my house. It grows in the gap between the wall and the flowerbed boundary, so very very close to the brick wall. Its height is about 2cm above the ground and the stem diameter is about 1cm. This wild plant seems to be quite common as I also found a few at various places in my garden. Would like to know its name.

I have tried to remove it, but it proves to be difficult as it is in a small gap.
Shall I leave it, or should I be concerned as its further growth may damage the wall?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
without a photo or a better description it's going to be hard for us to know which plant it might be, but seedling Ash trees are notorious for germinating right against house walls, as well as everywhere else in the garden, Sycamore also. You wouldn't want any of these growing up near your house and they can be a devil of a job to remove even when quite small plants as the young tap root can go quite deep.
They are found everywhere at this time of year as new seedlings germinate.

Whatever it is, if you can't get the root out, keep breaking off the green tops as soon as it appears as plants cannot live without photosynthesis and will die off, or treat with weedkiller if you must.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back