Will I be left with inadequate support?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,
I'm having some changes made to the house, the architect has done drawings and it's all signed off by BC. The drawing the architect supplied looks like this:
View media item 72445Most of the fabric of what you see on this drawing is already in place, and has been for years (long before I moved in). As originally designed, I think it was a separate garage, then some time later it was joined to the rest of the house. The work will be to remove flat roof, add a few courses of bricks so all floors and ceilings are same internal height, then add pitched roof and some minor internal re-modelling.

As you can see from the drawing, the dotted lines are existing walls which are due to be removed.

If standing at the word "Kitchen" and looking towards the word "Utility" you'd see this:
View media item 72444
As you can see from this photo, the door next to the stove is not a full width door, but it is on the drawing. These walls are ex-external walls, so cavity with brick on the outside, block on the inner. Ideally, I'd like to have this doorway made larger to fit a standard sized door in. I do not know if there is a lintel in position above this door, and I assume the doorway is no a part of the original design of the house.

To my mind, it doesn't seem like a great idea to have two doors so close together at the corner of the building as the corner is the strongest part of the structure, and having these door so close together leaves only a small "post" of inner and outer skins supporting everything above. (In this case the roof and gable end of our "shalet" house). But that is how it is, and there is evidence of cracking in nearby walls (particularly where the stove vent goes through the wall into a chimney just the other side.

What precautions should I get the builders to take when re-sizing this door-way to make it full sized? Should I get the architect/a different architect in to re-asses it?

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
It's not the problem that you believe it is, and the corner is not the 'stongest' part of the house. Actually, because of the triangulating-effect of brickwork, there will not be much load over the brickwork between the two doors.

If the doors were particularly heavy, and someone repeatedly slammed them shut, you might eventually get some dislodging of the frame fixings and maybe some cracking in the mortar joints, but it wouldn't be a serious structural issue.

Ah, that is re-assuring to know. Can you tell me more about this tri-angulating effect please? I'm no brickie, but being as I'll be employing a builder, I'd like to know what they're up against. I guess it's something to do with the weight of one brick being spread to the two below that and so on - and the corners have less of this going on.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Is there another word for "triangulating effect" that means the same thing? I'm hoping to learn more about it, but can't turn up much on google.

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back