window handle/lock stuck fast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone got tips on replacing/repairing uPVC window handles?

The problem is with a small casement window. The handle is stuck in the open position, due North and won't turn into the closed position, due West.

The handle has a pushbutton/keyhole combination on it. Is it easy to "swap out" such a dodgy handle?

Mike

Sponsored Links
Is it the handle, or the window mechanism that has failed?

IIRC you just get a flat bladed screwdriver under the screw cover (should be obvious where that is), undo the screw, and off it comes.

Update on this.

I removed the two screws holding the handle in place. The window is closed and won't budge.

So I guess I need a driver or tool to rotate the empty handle spindle socket anti-clockwise, thereby releasing the window lock mechanisms down the side of the window.

Nothing in my tool box fits. And the handle spindle won't budge anything.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks
Mike

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, does the window open apart from the handle?

Sponsored Links
No. The window is locked tight.
When I remove the handle, the handle mechanism works OK. But after fitting the handle back to the window, it refuses to turn.
A socket in the window needs to be turned anti-clockwise, releasing the deadbolts at the side of the window. But the handle won't turn this socket.

Mike

Bit difficult to explain but sounds like the window may have expanded inside the outer frame. Remove the seal inside then undo the beading on the front to remove the glass unit then you maybe able to prise the window out with flat bar then take it from there.

Thanks. Sounds tricky.

I may just leave it locked shut permanently...

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back