window locks handle broke.

Sponsored Links
Four thoughts:

1 - Best solution. Hire a pro, and take the appropriate proportion of it out of the Ts deposit. It is certainly chargeable damage to be made good if it was in good condition at the start of the tenancy.

2 - Can you force a bolt / screw of slightly larger diameter than the rounded hole to self-tap in, and then grip on that with a socket, spanner or driver to turn the mechanism?

Depending on whether it has to turn one way or the other, you may have to use a left handed thread to tap in such that it gets purchase in the opposite direction to turn it.

3 - Drill it out and fill with a dowel later when you've cleaned it all out.

4 - If desperate, screw the window up permanently.

F

Four thoughts:

1 - Best solution. Hire a pro, and take the appropriate proportion of it out of the Ts deposit. It is certainly chargeable damage to be made good if it was in good condition at the start of the tenancy.

2 - Can you force a bolt / screw of slightly larger diameter than the rounded hole to self-tap in, and then grip on that with a socket, spanner or driver to turn the mechanism? No it is completely rounded

Depending on whether it has to turn one way or the other, you may have to use a left handed thread to tap in such that it gets purchase in the opposite direction to turn it.

3 - Drill it out and fill with a dowel later when you've cleaned it all out. Explain more please

4 - If desperate, screw the window up permanently. New tenant whats open.

F

Sponsored Links
Tried a sharp little chisel today which wedged into the mechanism, I tried to turn but it will not shift its seems as though the mechanism has broke as well inside. Even if I wanted to replace the window I cannot get the window ope to get at the screws. Anyone else any ideas how to get this open ?

Have you tried wd40 and then a suitable size flat scrwwdriver across the diagonals of the hole which cannot slip should give enough purchase to unlock, remember it's only a quarter turn in one direction.

Have you tried wd40 and then a suitable size flat scrwwdriver across the diagonals of the hole which cannot slip should give enough purchase to unlock, remember it's only a quarter turn in one direction.

Yes tried that, I think the mechanism has broke and is locked shut as a screwdriver when jameed will not open it. I have read best thing to do is take glazing out then gemmy it open with a screwdriver or something and maybe try and get a scraper in and slide the locks across ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back