Window locks: what's the point?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I've been looking at window locks for wooden window frames, and am starting to ask the question: what is the point?

The ones I've seen appear to have a standard hex drive, so what sort of deterrent is that? Any thief worth their salt will just keep an Allen key in their pocket. Smash window (they'd have to do that anyway, even without any window lock), undo lock, undo window... free access. No real difference to having no window lock at all.

See e.g.:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/yale-upvc-window-lock-white/25892

Even if it's not a universal hex key, it looks to be at least standard for a particular lock type. So the thief would have a handful of standard keys for various lock systems.

Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
they dont open windows to escape
they tend to choose the way they came in as being easier

It's not the burglar who's escaping; more like it's the insurance companies looking for an excuse to avoid paying out in the event of a burglary, even if they didn't enter via the window - unless of course one of their spokesmen wish to advise otherwise.

Yup if they picked the lock of the back door to get in, they'll most likely go out that way too. Even if they don't, and wish to exit via a window, a window lock will surely make no difference to a burglar armed with a simple allen key... might take 10 seconds extra.

If they break in via a window, again, the presence of a window lock will delay them maybe for 10 seconds while they undo the window lock and then simply open the window latch to open the window.

I can see the point of a window lock with a "proper" key... takes a bit more skill and time to pick the lock than it does to stick an allen key in and turn...

Sponsored Links
Its mainly just an insurance thing.

Having said that you would be supprized at the number of windows you can get in by giving it a few taps with a hammer or a wiggle with a chisel. Little top opening windows that only have a old bar type handle are so easy.

I had a few jobs replacing windows where burglars have got it this way and Ive helped locked out friends and customers with it too.

Yeah that's partly what is bugging me. Most insurance requirements or exclusions kinda make sense, like not going away for days in midwinter without leaving the heating on low, or at least turning the stopcock off.

But window locks have got me. Until I started looking at what was available, I thought they were sensible... added protection and all that. But if all that is required is a standard window lock key or even an allen key... hmm.

Can anyone recommend a retrofit window lock that might actually offer some degree of added security, and not just do enough to tick an insurance checkbox?

these are the only solution I know of -
- As you have already found out, no lock will really do the job, but thieves normally go for the opportunistic /easy target first...pinenot :)

For those lucky enough to find this thread you will probably be pleased to know that with most home insurance companies whether you have window locks or not makes no difference to your home insurance quote - evidence that they recognise they offer no real benefit. Try the acid test on one of the quote comparison webites.

At the quoting stage it may not make a difference because that would mean losing money by giving you a cheaper quote, the REAL acid test is when you make a claim for a burglary through a window.

Trust me i used to work for an insurance company, specifically attending properties and writing reports for the claims handlers, I learned a lot about the insurance game in my time with them, mainly that it exists right on the very edge of the law, if they can get out of paying then they will and always read your terms and conditions because they know them off by heart

with most home insurance companies whether you have window locks or not makes no difference to your home insurance quote

This depends on where you live. I'm required to have "key-operated window locks" (and yes an allen key does count as a key!). My previous insurer decided that they wanted me to have a "professionally installed and maintained burglar alarm", so I changed; everyone wanted window locks and good door locks.

In some sense you're right that whether or not I have window locks doesn't change the price of the insurance - but if I don't have the locks, the insurance is invalid.

I can appreciate why having window locks is better than not in case a half-wit burglar was to leave his Allen keys behind. At the end of the day if you have declared you do not have window locks when obtaining your quotation I think it would difficult for the insurance company to argue that the insurance is invalid - although knowing how they operate I am sure they would try! My insurance documents were accompanied by a set of questions and answers provide at the quoting stage. This must count for something?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back