Window Removal Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - my house has been extended by the previous owners and they chose to leave the bathroom window in place even though the extension made the window internal. It looks dreadful and so I have removed the window and frame and I plan on filling the hole with plasterboard etc.

Momentary panic - have I potentially caused a structural issue by removing the window frame?!

There is a steel lintel in place which I presume was inserted when the window originally installed. Is that sufficient to take the weight or should I install some additional supports (perhaps some timber batons) before filling the hole with plasterboard.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The lintel takes all of the load. The window frame just sits in the hole and should not be load bearing.
Bathe in safety.

Ah great, thank you. I subsequently thought about houses that are mid-way through being built - sometimes sitting there for months without windows (or years if you've seen them in Spain!) and they stay up!

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back