window trickle vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,

we have recently moved into a new build home and the windows are all fitted with trickle vents. I realise it had to be done for regulation stuff, but now its winter it is blooming freezing. I was wondering if there is any way of blocking them up in the colder months? I am dreading my heating bills. New house is fantastic but no fitted fire just radiators.
any advise much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
They've usually got a little flicky thing that closes or opens the vent- if that isn't enough then get some wide PVC tape and stop them up that way. Keep an eye out for condensation if you do block them- old houses didn't need them cos there were all sorts of free air paths into rooms, modern houses are theoretically more airtight

trickle vents are very small, so if your house is freezing there might be some other reason.

hi there, thank you for your responses, I have closed the vents but there is still a wee breeze coming through them. the vents are as long as the windows at the top. house was only built and completed in May 16. the main ones that are driving me crazy is in the double doors in our bedroom to the Juliette balcony.
Using very wide tape might do it. :eek:)

Sponsored Links
What JohnD said about trickle vents being very small is true- have you got other draughts in the place? (Close the room door, light a tealight, put it on the floor 4 inches or so from an outside wall, see if the flame starts flickering due to draughts from behind/under the skirting boards. Or if you smoke, put a torch on the floor beam running parallel to the outside wall, turn the lights off and torch on, blow smoke into the beam and see where it starts moving in other directions)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back