Window won't open - is it because it is too wide?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had new windows put in throughout our house but one of them won't open without A LOT of force! The installer is has been putting us off since June and we think he trying to avoid sorting it out and we are worried it is because they have installed a window that is too wide and too heavy.

The opening is 140cm wide by 184cm high and they have given us a single window that is hinged half way down and opens at the bottom.

All our neighbours have windows where the top opens, or 2 windows side by side that bottom open.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
1200-1250mm is about the maximum width that most factorys prefer for a max opening width. 900mm tall is fine though.
Can you post a pic and do you know the make of the windows?

1200-1250mm is about the maximum width that most factorys prefer for a max opening width. 900mm tall is fine though.

900mm tall or 1840mm gaz? Like you I'd like to see a picture though

900mm tall or 1840mm gaz? Like you I'd like to see a picture though

He said the window was 1840 tall but opens at the bottom so I'm assuming a single/double hung type casement window that has replaced a box sash.

Sponsored Links
Here is a pic.

Also, I was wondering if a window that doesn't open means it doesn't comply with building regulations.

The fitter is a Fensa member so I am hoping referring to them will help get it sorted.

Thanks!
IMAG0148.jpg

Complaints to Fensa probably wont get you anywhere as they only deal with building regulation problems. But as you say if that is the only escape window in the room they might do but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.
Has this window been like it since it was fitted?
Have you paid in full yet?

2 months is too long to have to wait in my opinion.

Write them a letter and send it recorded delivery. Keep it polite and friendly. Just state that you have been waiting 2 months and you will give them 2 more weeks to rectify it before you call someone else in and send them the bill.

It should only take someone an hour max to adjust it. ( I am assuming its just an alignment problem).

Sorry, should have said, we only realised it was like this after a few weeks, but we think it has been so since installation.

It was in a room we didn't use but are now decorating a a nursery! New arrivals (twins!) due end of October so it is really important to us to get it fixed.

And we haven't paid in full yet, still around £800 to pay.

As a precaution get some restrictors on that window for when your twins are crawling and walking , low level escapes can be dangerous...

Good idea on the restrictors.
I would also just add to the letter about it being the babys room and them being due any day. your going to need to be able to ventilate it in this hot weather

By you owing them money, my bet is they will come and fix it.

I would be ringing daily. Then followed up with an email stating what was said.

Andy

A common issue with these large 50/50 split top hung openers is they can settle due to the large and heavy glass unit and they catch along the bottom, could be as simple as that being a new install, I mean what else could go wrong; locking mechanism failure, possible but unlikely, either way they need to pop out and have a look, while they're out just check whether you have restrictor hinges fitted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back