Windows :Would you replace or refurb?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over last few weeks, the 'putty' on my bedroom window has started coming away and more 'mold' appearing. The room is extremely draughty now too (probably not new..more likely realised more when cold weather has hit). Do you think the windows are in the sort of condition that I could ask a glazier to replace or would it be more economic in the long term to replace it?

Thanks v much for tips and thoughts. There are 2 images of the windows here.

//media.diynot.com/105000_104423_53605_87390106_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/105000_104423_53604_35305821_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
Reputty would be cheapest. Easy enough DIY task - get yourself a hammer and hacking knife to get the old stuff out and a clipt point knife to put the new stuff in. Can't really be done when it's sub zero, though!

Agreed. Based on the photos, re-puttying will get the job done. I wouldn't advice replacing the windows. The new ones might not suit the overall design of the house.

Thank you both. If its a question of re-puttying the window, and im not good at DIY, is it better I ask a glazier to do it or a general DIY skilled person? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
A glazier would generally charge higher but you can always ask them for a quotation. If you know a credible DIY guy who's capable of doing the job, I suggest you should go there.

But again as said, its not so easy to do at this time of year, at sub sero, or in the rain!

Daniel

Thanks for the replies. If there any glaziers in the chiswick area (W4) of West London that would like to give ma a quote on replacing the glass on this window and possibly 2 additional windows, then just let me know.

On one window, the one in pics, I will first try replacing the putty. Then I have 2 other windows in other rooms that will probably need the glass replacing soon too, so my thinking was if there's a local person interested, then they could come and quote on the whole thing. I have no experience or ability in these things. My understanding from the replies received is that even if I was just replacing the putty myself..I shouldnt do this until the weather warms up.

Thank you

Sounds about right, although if its really bad, i would get some putty in the cracks now to hold the bulk of the weather out till spring, than have it all dug out, allowed to dry, redone.

Daniel

If you do refurb the windows make sure to replace the glass with a good form of Low-e glass such as pilkington Energi-care. As they are resealing the windows it is daft not to change for low-e glass.

Installing low-e glass also helps to stop 'draughts' that occur due to the temperature of the glass causing an area of high pressure around the glass; thus causing convection in your room. Some people believe their windows are draughty but it is simply the temperature of the glass.

Hard to tell if its single or double glazing, or the exact condition of the frame, but im not sure I would be 'investing' in new glass unless the frames where in tiptop shape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back