Wire second light (PIR) into existing light (PIR) with junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to wire in a second light on an existing circuit, currently mains comes in from a fused switch and goes to a single floodlight with PIR sensor. So twin core + earth cable from the switch goes straight into the floodlight using 2.5mm cable. From how its wired i believe its perm on but only comes on when PIR is triggered.

The second light i wish to add also has a PIR but i want it to work independently, so unaffected by the other light.

Now i will need to add a junction box where the current floodlight is, as the new light will need a new run of cable from there.

the junction box i have has 5 terminals, what is the correct way to wire this so each can be used independently? I have had a go with a basic diagram, will this work or do i need more terminals to make this work correctly?

thanks in advance!

upload_2016-12-4_18-20-28.png

Sponsored Links
It will work as in the diagram but you only need 3 terminals - 3 wires in each.
Twin and earth is not suitable for use outside.

Great that makes sense, i was using all 5 to make it 'neater' but guess theres not much point if i can just use 3? :)

As for twin/earth outside, tell me about it.. thats the state its in now, clipped to the wall (how it was when i moved in)
while im doing this, im putting conduit up and enclosing the cables between the lights/supply and using ip65 junction box.

Sponsored Links
Hi, i will be putting the existing T&E into conduit and the cable to the new light will be 1.5mm.
I agree the 2.5mm is overkill but its already there so seems silly to replace the whole lot when I only want to extend.

i will use 1.5mm from the junction box to both lights, so the 2.5mm will only have to go to the junction box terminals. (also yes its fused at the switch FCU inside the garage)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back