Wired 8+ zone system recommendations + advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to install an alarm system in a mostly new build project we are doing ourselves.

The one we have a present in a different smaller property is a 6 zone PIR type (no door/magnet switches), so entrance/exit determined by PIRs in hall and kitchen. The panel (I think) is a Guardtec with remote wired keypad in the hall. I've maintained it for years with new UPS batteries, and also extended one circuit, but didn't install it.

Works fine and would be happy to use similar as new build will have numerous patio/bi-folds - 5 total ground floor entrances from outside (inc internal garage). But also something more flexible would be good, as removing the garage zone, has always been a faff.

If we just have PIRs we would need 8 zones to cover downstairs rooms, landing and garage, but also if having switches on doors, would need a further 4. Not sure the best recommended route.

I also want to install from scratch, I'm competent at electronics, but have never installed an entire system before.

Seen a lot of different types from on-line stores, so would like some advice. Would prefer wired rather than wireless and bells only.

Sponsored Links
When you go above 8 zones you do tend to go to the next level panel , big jump in prices, euro mini comes in 8 zones 10 if you eol the panel, texecom premier 24 , 8 zones onboard 2 on keypad = 10 for a start and 8 zone expander both flexible panels with 4 easy settings eg full , night, plus 2 others. Other panels available !

OK, so would 8 zones be ok if we stick to PIRs for all coverage and entrance/exits and don't have door switches except for the garage door (would you say PIR coverage if enough without door switch coverage in a larger home?)

Two rooms with have large Express bi-folding aluminium doors as seen here: www.expressbifolds.co.uk/bi-folding-doors/aluminium

Also what brands would you recommending looking at, you mention Texecom? Do all have good installation instructions / wiring guides and set-up? Which in your opinion are better than others?

Reliability would be key, don't mind spending a little extra to get decent stuff, but need some ball-parks and advice before drawing up a shortlist.

Castle euro mini 10 zones around £50, premier 24 best bet is a 24 kit 3 pirs prox keypad and 8 zone panel with fobs around £150 that's my recommend but others will have there input !

Sponsored Links
The Scantronic i-ON range may be worth a look. One of the i-ON30 models should do what you need. Other people will wax lyrical about Galaxy panels. Optex RX40PT PIRs or Bosch Blueline "Tritech" detectors are really good. CQR and Elmdene make good contacts. CQR cable is good but a bit dearer than some others - it's what I'd choose if I were doing my house. Yuasa batteries, of course (but Maplin is way too expensive!).

I self-installed a Honeywell Galaxy G2-12 at home. It's a 12 zone wired panel straight out of the box, and can also do wireless with an add-on. It's under £50 from ebay even though it's a well respected piece of kit for large homes or small offices. Obviously that's just the panel tho, you'll also need keypad, siren etc.

You can also get an ethernet module for under £50 which gives you full alarm control from a smart phone app (or any internet), and will give you texts/emails and voice calls for alarm events...for one quid per month. Google Selfmon for more info there (I have no connections to the service other than being a happy customer).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back