Wired Alarm systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to install an alarm to my new house. The wiring was already in place for the alarm to be installed, but only for 2 rooms, and a door sensor.

I was hoping to have something installed just for peace of mind, and a deterrent. But also install something that I could add to, if I want to at a later date. i.e. I plan to put some Coving up soon, and will run an extra wire to the rear doors, but at the moment the PIR will face that anyway.

It is a 3 bed, semi detached house with a front and rear doors. Any suggestions for what system to go for and how much to spend please?

I am currently belling out all the wiring, to work out which leads are what, as the builder hadn't labelled them.

Sponsored Links
decide on how much you want to spend first.

you can have hard wired basic cheap systems that will do the job, or you can have the whistle and bells alarms and pay for the difference.

What would you like the alarm to do?

decide on how much you want to spend first.

you can have hard wired basic cheap systems that will do the job, or you can have the whistle and bells alarms and pay for the difference.

What would you like the alarm to do?

Well I started off looking around the £130 mark, but have kind of extended my budget to be around £250 ish, could possibly stretch to £300 if it was worth it.

At the moment the house has wiring installed for 2 pirs, outside bell box, control panel and main unit where all wires end up. Thought maybe one of the hybrid systems might be good.
Really all I want it for is peace of mind that if someone brakes in it's going to go off and hopefully scare them off (I know in this day and age it is unlikely) although I have neighbours who are in during the day etc.

Premier Elite systems will be in your budget range for hard wired £200-£300

You can always add to the system later if you want to, Alert Electrical have some kits they have put together in that price range.

Depends on what you skills are like and how well you know alarms and can read the manuals to get the best out of them mind.

Sponsored Links
Go for a Honeywell Galaxy G2-12. Panel, Prox Keypad and 7ah battery will cost about £85. A new external sounder and internal speaker about £40. Wired sensors about £8 each for a decent brand.

You can then add various modules (wireless portal, Ethernet for apps, Etc.) as they are always available on Ebay at very low cost.

Well if I am completely honest, I personally have no experience of fitting alarms etc. But I am getting help from a friend who is an electrical engineer, so I am hoping that between the two of us we can manage it, and hopefully save some money.

I have seen the Honeywell alarms, although not that spec, they look good. Also been looking at the Texecom alarms aswell....

Not heard of Premier elite.... but will check out Alert electrical

Remember to add VAT to the prices.

It will do what you want and kits are usually priced competitively, but you need to think about what your end goal is and the total cost of getting there.

If you only want a basic wired system, then a much lesser system than the hybrid Honeywell Galaxy or hybrid Texecom Premier Elite will do it - and for a lot less than £300. If you want to add wireless detectors, IP based app connectivity, IP/GSM based event reporting/self monitoring Etc, then you need to determine the cost of adding these at a later date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back