wireless alarm questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have looked around the alarms subforum and there is a lot of valuable information, but it is a little overwhelming for someone new to this.

I was wondering if someone could help with some of the questions below or point me to a wireless system that would best serve a three bed house,

1. Wireless brands you recommend?
2. In terms of the main panel, should it be mains connected?
3. Phone line connection and control offered remotely/is web control an option?
4. Configuration-wise I want to split upstairs and downstairs so that I can have ground floor active at night.
5. How many/what type of sensors will I need for proper coverage (does a floorplan of the house help?).

Any other points! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
1. I fit Texecom and Risco wireless stuff and its good
2. yes it should
3. Many manufactures do ofer apps, Texecom and Risco do (Pyronix dont yet I believe)
4. known as a part set, there are many ways of achieving this, most common is part set with the zones upstairs omitted.
5. depends on what you want covering, you can go OTT or minimalistic.

the way to think about it is how the bruglar is likely to access the house.
what do you want to make sure is protected.

1. single story extensions give access to first floor rooms for example
2. bulidings built on slopes, often come in from the front and go upstairs to the living room, into the back to the kitchen out of the kitchen onto the back garden.
3. conservatories should be looking at DT to help eliminate false alarms
4. door contacts on entry door/ access doors.
5. shock sensors on windows, and or PIR's covering the room beuing entered.

Also think that your living room probably contains the quick sell items, like phones, laptops, tvs xbox etc, bedrooms jewerly. You may not have so many quick sell items that arent nailed down in the kitchen for example.

Its difficult to say without looking at a property, advantage of a wireless system is you don't have to worry usually about the decor if you want to add a detector to the system months/ years down the line.

Many thanks for your points secureiam!

I particularly liked the one about the single storey extensions giving access upstairs. Obvious but overlooked, although I do not have one...yet.

In terms of the systems you mentioned, what sort of prices should I expect for a kit and/or extra sensors?

Any specific models you recommend?

Whats available and costs vary from distributor to distributor.

have a look at cts direct and alert electrical to get an idea on prices.

Remember that kits bunled together usually make it cheaper than buying seperately each component.

so right a list of what you think you need, and then go visit some sites and do the maths.

Sponsored Links
A friend of mine recommended using ADT under a monthly subscription. I am trying to consider the cons and pros of having a professional installer to do the alarm or do it myself.

I am tech savvy, but have absolutely no experience with alarm systems. This is something I want to get right from the beginning...

Here are some more questions,

1. Is it better to have someone install the alarm/does that have to come with a subscription after all?

2. Do ADT use high end systems for their wireless? Is there an option to choose the system?

3. Does ADT have a good standard overall?

4. What is the point of having a company monitoring the alarm just to call you? (e.g keyholder)

5. And is it better to pay for a sim/mobile phone system separate to your landline?

Thanks!

Unfortunately I can not comment on ADT installation techniques or the equipment they use.

It is better given the questions you are asking for you to get a professional installer to install your alarm.

You do not have to take out a service or monitoring contract however some companies offer a low installation price versus a long contract monthly payment scheme.

It depends on budget, many alarm systems share the landline and depending on how its used and setup can cause you issues, correctly set up it should not cause a serious problem, have it completley seperate keeps it simple but costs more money.

Suggest you call a few local companies to see what they can offer you.

If my friend recomended me a service, I would be likely to consider that service. If they slatted the service I would give it a wide birth.

1. 2. 3. 5. - Like he said (but "... give it a wide berth" :eek: )

4. They (the monitoring service) can also call the police, fire brigade, etc. (which a speech dialler shouldn't do) when you're asleep/on holiday/out of mobile range and when your keyholder is too drunk to drive to your house!

Another good reason for contacting your local installer is that they may be able to install a wired system "invisibly" and save you all the hassles of the wireless system.

Thank you both for the feedback. I called ADT to have an assessment.

They use Visonic systems, they proposed a pretty basic setup. That is 3 sensors and one door sensor. They charge £75/extra PIR sensor and £40 for an extra dummy siren at the back. They proposed to place the sensors in wide coverage positions and use fewer sensors. The whole thing came at around £230 plus £25/month for keyholder monitoring.

I would prefer a proper siren outside and not dummies. The neighbours may be annoyed or do nothing, but I think it always adds pressure to the burglar.

With their configuration the burglar may have time to come inside until picked up from the PIRs. The package offers no window sensors by default. The idea I guess is that the burglar would not pick a monitored alarm in the first place. But in my view, if they could come in (i.e from a not so important room as kitchen) until picked up, they may decide to take a small trophy before running away.

Are there any similar monitored systems that people recommend? Thinking to shop around before deciding.

how many months/ YEARS are you tied in?

search for local alrm installers near you and check if they have a monitoring package.

how many months/ YEARS are you tied in?

search for local alrm installers near you and check if they have a monitoring package.

It's a 36 month contract with 18 month break clause, £25/mo sounds a bit too much and the one off cost is more than I expected.

I could be wrong, but what is stopping the average consumer from buying a good kit and then register with a (local) monitoring company?

what is stopping the average consumer from buying a good kit and then register with a (local) monitoring company?

We installed a Galaxy alarm and monitor it ourselves for one quid per month. We have full control of the alarm from a phone app (or any internet), and we receive emails/texts/voice calls for alarm events to whatever numbers we wish. It's easy to change the numbers too if you go on holiday etc. Do a search for selfmon for more info. (I have no connection to the company other than being a happy customer).

edit... I should point out ours is a wired system, not wireless.

The whole thing came at around £230 plus £25/month for keyholder monitoring.

£300 pa to have a keyholder do what, sit at home waiting for your alarm to activate? Won't happen, they will get on with their normal lives and when called by the receiving centre and they get no reply what then?

If you wan't to go down the route of an ARC get a local company in, you'll get better service and advice from them.

The whole thing came at around £230 plus £25/month for keyholder monitoring.
If you wan't to go down the route of an ARC get a local company in, you'll get better service and advice from them.

The "local company" I work for would charge about half that amount for the monitoring and an annual maintenance contract. They'd charge the full amount for the installation. We'd recommend wired over wireless as the running costs are lower and so is the number of potential problems. We'd also be less than an hour away in the middle of the night (when the batteries run out)...

I'm getting in touch with some companies around. Other than good feedback on trusted reviews, what else would you look for to decide about an installer?

Someone quoted me £600 for installation! I had to give up on the call :p

Another installer mentioned monitoring with Custodian as standard. Is this service offered through alarm companies only or consumers can also buy a monitoring package?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back