wireless alarm questions

Due to budget I decided to bite the bullet and go with ADT or Secom. I would prefer the Galaxy option as it seems more reliable among pros.

From the knowledge I gather both Visonic and Pyronix systems seem good, with Visonic possibly better on wireless. In the long run cost is roughly the same but spread out over 3 years and they will be responsible for maintenance.

The only two things not clear yet,

1. Whether the equipment belongs to the client with ADT after contract, seems not from posts around. Secom leave the equipment to the customer.

2. Landline vs GSM module reliability?

Factors involved, the area signal is a little poor to my experience, on the other hand being independent of the landline sounds far better. The only downside with landline is that I need to sort out the wiring depending on the position of the dialler.

Sponsored Links
Why are you sorting out the wiring if you are getting a company in to install it ?

That was just for connecting to the landline. I'm a bit fussy with visible wires and would rather not have phone wire around my skirting board.

What makes you think a professional would clip it around the skirting ? It wouldn't do in my house never mind somone else's . Then again if you want to pay peanuts.....🙈🙉🙊

Sponsored Links
What makes you think a professional would clip it around the skirting ? It wouldn't do in my house never mind somone else's .

I certainly wouldn't let them in my house. Wooden floors and recently decorated. Is he going to use a microwave junction or something? :mrgreen:

Then again if you want to pay peanuts.....

I don't like people who make assumptions about others. Nevertheless, not everyone has the same budget that your have in mind. That does not mean they should not have an alarm. Besides I explained the costs above are the same but spread out over years as a subscription. What does this have to do with someone who "want to pay peanuts"?

the area signal is a little poor to my experience

Have you tried all the networks? Bear in mind that some providers 'piggyback' onto other networks (e.g. TescoMobile and GiffGaff both use O2's network) so make sure when testing you're covering all the main ones i.e. O2, EE, Vodafone - be careful with Three as some devices can't use 3G (or 4G) only networks.

The only downside with landline is that I need to sort out the wiring depending on the position of the dialler.

Have a look at something like this -

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/dect-wireless-phone-line-extender-a82fy

never used one though but could always try and return if necessary.

There is a potential to grab a pre-existing phone cable left under the floor, right below the stairs. Alternatively I could use my Cat6 cable which has sockets in all rooms.

I am not familiar with the dialler. Does it receive an instruction from the control box wirelessly? And what sort of information is being transmitted between landline vs GSM?

I would just go for visonic powermax......the UK models come with a UK re-written manual......

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back