Wireless CCTV advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of getting a Y-Cam wireless CCTV camera to mount on my garage and look at the back of my house - specifically the patio door.

If I get an outdoor camera it'll be vulnerable as the garage isn't very high.

I was thinking of getting an indoor camera, cutting a hole in the wall of the concrete garage with an angle grinder and mounting the camera behind a sheet of laminated glass.

There's a big floodlight that would light up anyone who enters the area so I don't think I'm going to be very reliant on the infrared capabilities of the camera but I'm wondering if me putting the camera behind glass will cause any issues?

Maybe it would be better to get an outdoor camera and mount it so it's mostly protected and disguised but not behind glass?

Sponsored Links
Only things that come to mind are if it is a PIR camera it will not operate through glass and you might get condensation on the glass if the garage is prone to it, or wet cars, mowers are put away in there.

A favourite way of disabling cameras is a quick spray from a paint can. Unfortunately your laminated glass will not protect from that.

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking of getting a Y-Cam wireless CCTV camera to mount on my garage and look at the back of my house - specifically the patio door.

If I get an outdoor camera it'll be vulnerable as the garage isn't very high.

There's a big floodlight that would light up anyone who enters the area so I don't think I'm going to be very reliant on the infrared capabilities of the camera but I'm wondering if me putting the camera behind glass will cause any issues?

Maybe it would be better to get an outdoor camera and mount it so it's mostly protected and disguised but not behind glass?

Can you not mount a dome camera, bit less prone to tampering bar being sprayed of course.

Just a thought you can get infrared floodlights or external IR lighting if you want a more stealth approach to illuminating the scum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back