Wireless room stat questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

How do wireless room stats work? I know they have a receiver box sited near the boiler - are they wired directly to the boiler (and also a permanent live supply themself) - and when the wireless room stat requires heat the signal to the receiver sends power to the boiler ?

They seem to be very popular these days and I've read a bit about them, I haven't got a room stat with my combi, so was thinking of getting one fitted. Are they expensive and reliable?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you know how they work already.

Yes, pretty reliable, usually just batteries in the stat/transmitter that need replacing occasionally. You can get ones that are just a stat as well as ones that have an inbuilt programmer to control heating times.

Stick to reputable brands (eg Danfoss, Drayton or Honeywell), and stay away from cheap brands that you have never heard of on Ebay.

ok, thanks. I've read a bit about them but have heard they can be problematic and have faults.

Is it possible for me to be able to fit one myself? I have a fused switched spur unit next to my combi.

Sponsored Links
Personally, if the building layout allows, I would fit a good quality hard-wired stat. These are the most reliable. Wireless aren't quite as reliable due to the fact that they are more complicated in construction, and have 2 units. I only use them, if running a wire from the stat location to the boiler is going to be difficult. Just get a good make.

If you can do basic wiring, it shouldn't be too difficult. Its only 4 wires.

Post again with your boiler details, and the stat you want, and someone on here will tell you how. If not, get your friendly local plumber to do it for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back