Wiring 2 gang 1 way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,
Cracking on with changing over the rest of my sockets (all done no problems) and switches after my issues here: //www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/metal-pattress-in-drylined-wall.400764/

Unfortunately, I've run into a problem with my lounge light switch. It's 2 gang controlling 2 lights independently. Lights are each just 1 way (no other switches operate them.

Cable to the existing switch is just 2 grey cables each containing a black, red & earth cable. One of the black cables has a bit of red tape on it - does this means it's the switched live?

Light switch currently is wired up like this:

This is the old switch:

This is the new switch:

Not sure how to wire it up. I can only assume the two top connectors in the old switch are the commons? Tho it's helpful that the arrow next to the word common points both up and down!
No idea what the 4 connectors on the bottom are?

I'm thinking I need to do the switch live to one common, and the live from the same cable as the switched live to the other common, then the neutral (black) to the L1 on the live common side, and the other live (red) to the L1 on the switched live common side? But obviously this is largely guess work so wanted to double check!
:eek:

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Yes the top ones of old switch are common

One side of the new switch is upside down when compared to the old one.

You should use common and L1 for the wires

Old switch the top two connections are the commons. New switch they are the top left and bottom right terminals.

Old switch the other two terminals are L1 & L2, the same as the new one just in a different position.

On the new switch red into each common, and blacks into L1 terminals.

BTW the blacks are NOT neutrals. Wires do not know what colour they are.

Thanks guys. Does the black with the red tape not need to treated differently?

The old switch had this going into one of the commons, not both reds?

Sponsored Links
Both blacks really should have red sleeve on them.

It doesn't really matter which way round the wires go on a 1 way switch, but convention is live (red) to common, and switched live (black with red sleeve) to L1

Both blacks really should have red sleeve on them.

It doesn't really matter which way round the wires go on a 1 way switch, but convention is live (red) to common, and switched live (black with red sleeve) to L1

Sorted! :idea:
Did exactly as the above. Thanks everyone for your help! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back