Wiring a 13a plug (long story)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I was changing a Chinese plug on an IEC c15 lead for a fused one, and I decided to check the polarity afterwards. Seems wrong, so I swapped the plug to another bare lead I had after checking the polarity is right on that one. Then I checked after wiring, wrong again!
Then I realised after all this time that the cardboard wiring diagram on the back of new plugs is actually backwards! I never noticed. Any thoughts, I can see why they do it, but it's confusing when you don't know.
IMG_20161023_184004.jpg

Sponsored Links
It is a bit thoughtless to position it like that but it is a picture of the wires and connections; not the pins.

Hopefully the position of the fuse should prevent it being done wrongly.

Then I realised after all this time that the cardboard wiring diagram on the back of new plugs is actually backwards! I never noticed. Any thoughts, I can see why they do it, but it's confusing when you don't know.
Yes, this has been discussed (including here, I think) before. It is a bit potentially confusing for some people but, when one thinks about it, to do the opposite would also be potentially confusing (again, for some people) - so one can't really win.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the replies! Yes I suppose that way round, the only people who would be confused are the ones who are checking the polarity with a resistance tester or similar, in which case they'll work it out eventually!

Sponsored Links
My pet hate is seeing those cardboard wiring diagrams left on plugs that are in service.

I also remove them when I see them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back