Wiring a double socket & 12x3w LED bulbs to a vanity mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I'm in the middle of a project and need a bit of reassurance as I have changed the plan and now I'm not quite sure how to wire it. :)

I've built a hollywood style vanity unit thingy, with 12 x 3w LED bulbs around a mirror, but I now want to add a 13a double socket to it. Wiring just the bulbs or socket alone would be simple, but how would I wire them all from one plug?

I would assume it would involve a junction box to split the double socket from the lighting circuit. If I used a 13a fuse in the plug, would I also need to fuse the lighting side with a small fuse?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I've built a hollywood style vanity unit thingy, with 12 x 3w LED bulbs around a mirror, but I now want to add a 13a double socket to it.
How are you going to successfully and safely install a socket into a mirror?

Wiring just the bulbs or socket alone would be simple, but how would I wire them all from one plug?
You've got 13 things to connect up, compared to 12 - not sure why you see that as a problem.

Is this a portable item you've built? If not, why on earth is it supplied via a plug in the first place?

I would assume it would involve a junction box to split the double socket from the lighting circuit.
Not necessarily - why couldn't you just take the supply for the lighting FCU from the socket?

If I used a 13a fuse in the plug, would I also need to fuse the lighting side with a small fuse?
Yes.

Thanks for the reply. I have since spoken to an electrician and its actually much simpler than I thought. The confusion came in having to think about a much higher amp socket in my otherwise really low circuit. Plug to double socket, socket to fused switch, then to bulbs. 13a fuse in the plug and 1a in the switch.

Its got a MDF frame around it, so the bulb sockets are on that.

Its not really portable, but I wanted to keep my options open in case it gets moved around the room. :)

One final consideration is where do I switch from the .75mm to the 2.5mm flex? I would guess that it changes at the 1a fused switch but it could very well be at the socket. Eitherway I will use the 2.5mm from the socket to the switch, then the .75mm from the switch around the bulbs.

1a in the switch.
3A or 5A will be fine - 1A are hard to find.

Its got a MDF frame around it, so the bulb sockets are on that.
Yes, but where's the 13A socket going?

One final consideration is where do I switch from the .75mm to the 2.5mm flex? I would guess that it changes at the 1a fused switch but it could very well be at the socket.
After fusing down to 3/5A, not before.

Eitherway I will use the 2.5mm from the socket to the switch
Why?

What size are you thinking of using to the socket?

Sponsored Links
The 13a socket is going on the MDF frame too, with the switch. Yea I figured I would have to use a 3a fuse, unless I can order a 1a online. And the 2.5mm will go from the plug to the double socket, and from the double socket to the fused switch for the lights. Then the 0.75mm from the switch to all the light sockets.

I've just routed out the recesses for the double socket and the switch so its the wiring tomorrow, then paint the damn thing and its done.

Thanks again for the help :)

And the 2.5mm will go from the plug to the double socket, and from the double socket to the fused switch for the lights.
  1. Do you have any other examples of appliances using 2.5mm² flex?
    blank_43x10_T.gif
  2. Ever wondered why that is, wrt your idea of using 2.5mm² here?
    blank_43x10_T.gif
  3. Good luck trying to terminate 2.5mm² in the plug, BTW.
    blank_43x10_T.gif

I've just routed out the recesses for the double socket and the switch
Must be quite a chunky piece of furniture if you can have recesses that deep in it. How are you providing strain relief for the cable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back