Wiring a fan from the main circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I\\\'m trying to connect a new extractor fan in my bathroom, it\\\'s powered from the bathroom circuit and not the corded light switch, and the on/off control comes from the fan\\\'s humidity sensor.

Out of the wall comes for wires, red, blue, yellow and earth.

In my fan there are two cables, blue and black, coming from one of those plastic junctions (one is empty). Also the fan does not need to be earthed.

is the correct wiring from wall to fan

red --> blue
blue --> black
yellow --> emtpy

or

blue --> blue
red --> black
yellow --> unconnected.

thanks all

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it is a black and not a brown? There is probably a live, switched live, neutral and earth on the supply cable which is the common arrangement for a bathroom fan with a timed run-on, the blue normally being used for neutral connecting to the blue on the fan and the red being permanent live which connects to the brown. If the fan switched on/off by the light pullcord swop red/yellow wires. Terminate the earth into one spare terminal and the switched live into another. You should also have some sort of isolator to allow you to kill the power to the fan for cleaning etc, which if you haven't got is a notifiable job under part p England/Wales to add one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back