Wiring a light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Just want to check something. Do I need to put the yellow green wire in into com and two live wires into L1 and other two in L2. It is for two separate lights in a dining room. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
DO NOT put the yellow and green into COM, it should be connected to the metal back box by a grub screw (probably the thing top left) and not in contact with the other wires. As to the rest, it's anyones guess as nothing is marked.

should be fairly straight forward.

Presumably you control these with two switches?

If so, each cable will be one light.

One red into COM one into L1

If you're planning on using one switch things become slightly more complicated

That looks like a very shallow (plaster-depth) back box.

You have not said what type of switch you are planning to put in there, but be very careful that wires do not get trapped/short out etc. You may be faced with chopping it out and sinking a deeper box.

Nice wallpaper, very Haight-Ashbury/psychedelic man.
I wonder why they painted over it

:mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
The green and yellow cables should be connected to the earth terminal of back box or if metallic switch plate at the earth terminal on the plate.

You should then be left with two pairs of red cables (in grey sheath)
Each pair will have one red that is permanently live (you require an approved voltage indicator to identify this) and the second red will be dead.

On gang(switch) one: Take the perm live of the pair and terminate this at com, then the dead red to L1.
and repeat this for gang two.
The terminations should be made with the circuit isolated and proved dead!

All done and appears to be working ok, one minor irritation, when both lights are off, one switch is up and one switch is down. Any ideas?
Thank you all for your assistance, your explainations were all really clear and easy to follow.

Do I need to put the yellow green wire in into com and two live wires into L1 and other two in L2.
1) Well - was it like that before?

2) PLEASE do not do any more electrical work until you've learned more (quite a bit more) about it. That you don't even recognise a cpc, know what it's for etc, or how switches work, or how lighting circuits are wired shows a level of ignorance on your part which is completely incompatible with safety.

This time you asked, but if, for some reason, you had been sure about wiring the switch up that way, then right now you, or somebody else, could be dead - and no, I am not exaggerating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back