Wiring a Neff T1872 electric hob

Discussion in 'Appliances' started by Korky, 3 Dec 2003.

This topic originated from the How to page called Installing an electric cooker.

1. Korky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can anyone give advice.
    I have a Neff T1872 electric hob to install, but there are no wiring diagrams within the instructions (hell..no-one said it would be easy eh?), but taking the back plate off reveals five connectors excluding the earth. There is a standard 3 diagram sticker showing possible connections, one with 3 wires coming in, one with 4 and one with 5 wires.
    Am I correct in assuming that its safe to use the 3 wire diagram, where one is earth, then the live is connected to terminals 1 2 and 3, which in turn are connected together using 2 copper connectors, and the neutral is connected to terminal 5, which in turn is connected to terminal 4 with another copper connector?

Sorry for the length of question, but I hope it makes sense.
    Thanks for your time.

2. Jake1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have the same hob to install so was interested in your question, I requested this on another forum and the answer I got was "Yes".

Hope this helps, I will be doing my wiring this weekend, I wil post a message if I have problems.

Regards

Jake

3. Korky

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Jake...thanks for the reply.

I installed my hob last night using the three wire diagram and it works correctly, but may I suggest a few tips.

Firstly, its damn difficult to fit the 6mm wire and copper connectors into the 5 white control hub connections, in the space provided. I basically spent almost 2 frustrating hours of almost getting them in..you think it's in..then it pops out syndrome.

Anyway..eventually I took the whole backing off and took out the white control hub where you need to insert the cables/connectors. These are obviously attached to wires within the hob, but you can unscrew these and take these out. They are spaded, so they're simple to re-insert, but remember to label which wires go into which connector 1,2,3,4 & 5.

Basically, you need to have the white control hub in you hand so you can easily insert the external cables/connectors. Place this back in and re-connect the internal hob wires back into the rear of it and secure the whole unit back into place.

Hope this helps, and doing it this way, will save you a lot of time and frustration, as I almost had to purchase another hob, due to the fact that the one I was trying to fit, almost ended up thru the window !!!

It's a pretty poor design by Neff, but then again, they want you to pay a fortune for a sparky to fit it.
    Best of luck...

Regards
    Korky

4. BR

BR

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The extra connections on the hob are if you want to wire it so as only 1 or 2 rings will work together. Neff seem to be the best around in kitchen applicences at the moment, Bosch and Siemens also very good.

5. LifesABitchAndThenYouFry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Neff=Bosch=Siemens=BSH Home Appliances, all come off the same production line. Appliance Care is BSH sister company and does servicing for all 3 brands, they have the best aftersales set-up in the UK at the moment. They keep spares for 10 years after a model is discontinued too!