wiring a smeg hob (safely)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Hope some one can hep. Ive bought a new hob and oven and the connection block has 6 terminals not three, three live screw terminals are to be linked to make it operate at 240v (oven has brass linking plates between terminals so no problem there) can i just use 30amp wire linking the live terminals together like a daisey chain ?

Sponsored Links
vtech15 said:
Hi, Hope some one can hep. Ive bought a new hob and oven and the connection block has 6 terminals not three, three live screw terminals are to be linked to make it operate at 240v (oven has brass linking plates between terminals so no problem there) can i just use 30amp wire linking the live terminals together like a daisey chain ?

there is no such thing as '30 amp wire'.

and why do you need '30 amp wire' to link the terminals when you have just said it has a brass linking plate?

andy said:
and why do you need '30 amp wire' to link the terminals when you have just said it has a brass linking plate?
Don't jump to hasty conclusions, Andy :confused: The poster states that the OVEN has a brass jumper whereas he's asking us about his HOB.

andy said:
True, but we both know that he means 6mm T&E, don't we? :rolleyes:

vtech15 said:
can i just use 30amp wire linking the live terminals together like a daisey chain ?
That sounds very sensible to me, so long as the terminals are capable of taking 2 pieces of wire easily. You may want to use bits of wire with the brown sleeving still attached rather than just the bare copper.

Note that hobs and cookers draw high currents and so bad connections will overheat big-time, so make sure the screws are VERY tight before you put the cover back on the terminal box.

Also, ensure that the cable does not come into contact with hot bits of the oven.

Cheers & a merry xmas to both of you,
Nick.

Nickthedentist said:
andy said:
Don't jump to hasty conclusions, Andy :confused: The poster states that the OVEN has a brass jumper whereas he's asking us about his HOB.
where does he say 'my hob doesnt have a link'?
Nickthedentist said:
andy said:
True, but we both know that he means 6mm T&E, don't we? :rolleyes:

Cheers & a merry xmas to both of you,
Nick.

2.5 is rated 27A. close enough to 30. and 4mm is rated over 30. so he could mean 4mm.

Sponsored Links
the oven has brass linking plates, but the hobb has a six terminal screw type connecting block

vtech15 said:
the oven has brass linking plates, but the hobb has a six terminal screw type connecting block

use whatever size cable you use to link cooker to wall plate to link the 3 live terminals

thanks :D i used 4mm heat resistant wire with the brown sleeving just wanted to check and see if that was ok. merry xmas :D

andy said:
where does he say 'my hob doesnt have a link'?
The title sort-of implies it, I reckoned.

andy said:
2.5 is rated 27A. close enough to 30. and 4mm is rated over 30. so he could mean 4mm.
Fairy nuff, too much Stella last night :oops:

Cheers,
Nick.

Often on hobs when you open the connection point cover you will find the necessary flat connectors in a pocket near the terminals. They are quite easy to miss. Did a Smeg last week and that's where they were. PS anyone know where I can get replacement glass for the smeg ceramic hobs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back