Wiring an extractor fan into a bathroom lighting circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a Vent Axia va100svxt 12. The wiring diagram says the live coming into the ceiling junction must have a 3 amp fuse on it. I may be revealing my ignorance here but how can you put a 3 amp fuse into a lighting circuit. In a mains circuit it would be a fused spur but how does that work on a lighting circuit?

Amy help would be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hello Jake.
Is this fan to be installed in a bath/shower room or kitchen ? If so it becomes 'notifiable' work and in my opinion it would be in your interest to get a registered electrician to fit the fan, due to 'rules and regs' I'm afraid.

If not, is the circuit that you intend to use RCD protected ?

Regards
Ed.

In a mains circuit it would be a fused spur but how does that work on a lighting circuit?

I think you may be a bit confused here. The old term "mains" referred to the supply voltage at 230/240volts. On that basis, all of the circuits coming from your fuseboard/consumer's unit are mains circuits. Mains voltage is still used as a gneralisation but it is not defined as a proper term.

Maybe you mean a ring final circuit? As noted above, you could use an FCU on any circuit, including radials and ring finals.

Sponsored Links
In a mains circuit it would be a fused spur but how does that work on a lighting circuit?

A fused spur limits the maximum rating of the fuse you put in it.

So fuse at 1,3, 5, 7 amp etc.

With a lighting circuit, the main fuse at the board will be a 6 amp, so if you were silly enough to have a 13 amp fuse spur on a 6 amp light circuit under 'fan fault' conditions the board will pop and you will fall down the stairs in the darkness :LOL:

So by having a fuse spur rating at 3 amp, if the fan goes faulty it would trip the fuse in the spur, and not knock out the lights on the same circuit.
Also it limits the fault tolerance since a 3 amp fuse will trip before a 6 amp,

If you check your fan rating, it's only likely to be in the region of 50-100 watts. Say 75w

So with the math being that amp = watts divide by volts 75w / 230v is about 0.3 amps use. Put a 1 amp fuse in if you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back