wiring an old plug

Never heard this one before - Black as live on an appliance flex?
Confused? - I am certainly, especially when BLACK = NEUTRAL is implanted in my mind for all these years.....
In the USA Black is Live and White is Neutral, quite a lot of mains leads imported to the UK with moulded on 13 amp plugs have been found to have used USA standard cable.

In some countries RED was the earth wire and it is not impossible to still find leads like that,

SO NEVER assume, always verify....

Sponsored Links
In the USA Black is Live and White is Neutral
And in Canada, plus those parts of Latin America and the Caribbean which generally follow American standards.

In some countries RED was the earth wire
Certainly that was the case in Germany, I think Austria, and at least one of the Scandinavian countries in the past (Denmark? Sweden? - Can't recall off hand).

My guess is the black may have been a dark shade of brown but the OP has probably binned it by now anyway.

My guess is the black may have been a dark shade of brown
Could be, but it might have been black. I remember dealing with a lot of French equipment in the seventies, and on some of the cords it was very dark brown, but on others it really was black.

Sponsored Links
Followed the link from "similar topics" at the bottom of another page and only just noticed the dates. Oh well.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back