Wiring an RJ11 Socket for ADSL only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting in a phone/broadband extension in my house so I can locate my Home Hub 5 and a phone in my office

I'm planning on putting a NTE5 Master Socket Adapter Plate onto my BT Master socket and hardwiring the extension into the back of that. I'll be using CAT5e external cable to a module outlet in my office with a phone socket and an RJ11 socket for the Home Hub...

For the wiring I'm planning on using 1 pair to terminals 2 and 5 for the phone extension and another pair to terminals A and B for the ADSL on the back of the NTE5.. I'm not planning on using terminal 3, the bell wire connection as I think this is not used anymore?

My question is what terminals numbers do I wire the A & B pair to, on the back of the RJ11 socket for my Home Hub 5??

Cheers... Steve

Sponsored Links
For the ADSL socket It's the centre pair, pretty sure it doesn't matter which way round.

For the phone socket you will also want to connect the ringer wire since you are downstream of the filter. Otherwise some phones will fail to ring.

You Don't want to connect the "bell wire" or connector 3 to anything on either end. It acts as an antenna and the adsl signal will be lost en-route. (all modern phones will ring without a bell wire).
Just put a normal extension using pins 2&5 from nte5 frontplate to an extension socket and use an adsl filter on both sockets.

Alternatively, get yourself an SSFP and run a "data extension" cable to your office.

You will gain nothing from running separate pairs for phone and adsl as they use different frequencies down the same pair anyway..

Just run a normal extension.. Without being filtered your adsl may drop every time you pick up or put down the phone as it will induce clicks onto the adsl signal.

Sponsored Links
You will gain nothing from running separate pairs for phone and adsl as they use different frequencies down the same pair anyway..

If ADSL signals reach a phone then phone conversations will be disrupted by the ADSL signals. Worse is that ADSL signals will reflect back from the phone ( as it is not the correct terminations for ADSL signals ) and these reflections reduce the effective speed of the ADSL data.

You do gain by splitting the ADSL signals from the phone signal and as close to pint of entry as possible. In you have an NTE5 master socket then replace the front plate with a splitter

http://solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm

and run separate cables for each of phone and ADSL

http://solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

If your ADSL signal is weak, ( long distance from telephone exchange or pld cables in street ) then using CW1308 for the ADSL will give slightly better results than if you use CAT 5 or 6 cables. ADSL signal format is designed to travel along low twist cables and not the high twist of CAT 5/6 cables.

Solwise are good, there are other sources of similar equipment.

You Don't want to connect the "bell wire" or connector 3 to anything on either end. It acts as an antenna and the adsl signal will be lost en-route. (all modern phones will ring without a bell wire).
Just put a normal extension using pins 2&5 from nte5 frontplate to an extension socket and use an adsl filter on both sockets.

Alternatively, get yourself an SSFP and run a "data extension" cable to your office.

Just run a normal extension.. Without being filtered your adsl may drop every time you pick up or put down the phone as it will induce clicks onto the adsl signal.

The phone wiring here is AFTER the filter, so the bell wire should be connected, and will not affect the ADSL as it's AFTER the filtering.

Having a master filter and extending the ADSL on a single pair is the preferred method in preference to running extension wiring and using multiple micro filters. One is a PRO install, the other a DIY.

If ADSL signals reach a phone then phone conversations will be disrupted by the ADSL signals. Worse is that ADSL signals will reflect back from the phone ( as it is not the correct terminations for ADSL signals ) and these reflections reduce the effective speed of the ADSL data.

You do gain by splitting the ADSL signals from the phone signal and as close to pint of entry as possible. In you have an NTE5 master socket then replace the front plate with a splitter

http://solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm

and run separate cables for each of phone and ADSL

http://solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

If your ADSL signal is weak, ( long distance from telephone exchange or pld cables in street ) then using CW1308 for the ADSL will give slightly better results than if you use CAT 5 or 6 cables. ADSL signal format is designed to travel along low twist cables and not the high twist of CAT 5/6 cables.

Solwise are good, there are other sources of similar equipment.

I would just run a CW1308 phone extension (without a ringer wire, all modern phones do not require one) The speed difference caused by a filter being a few extra meters from the point of entry is negligible.
Like you say, the pair may have run a KM or more on street cabling (surrounded by crosstalk noise from other circuits) before it gets to your house anyway.
Splitting the signal at the entry point will make no difference. The two different technologies that share the pair use different frequencies, so providing other equipment is properly filtered and the property is not star wired (spurs off in all directions) the adsl signal will be the same at the point of entry, as it is on the end of a few meters of correct extension cable.

Now, if we were talking VDSL, then that all goes out the window as the frequency it operates at is a lot higher, up to 17Mhz if I remember..? complared to 2.2Mhz for ADSL.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back