Wiring Diagram

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am wanting to do some re-wiring in my Barn / Workshop , I wanted to do a design myself to show who ever is going to do the work , a lot of it is to re-do and upgrade sizes of old Red n Black cable with the same route that is there .

Could anyone on here have a look at my design / Plan and comment on it pls .

ps: I have done this with Excel , but can not attach a Excel file ! , could email to anyone ! .
cheers

Anne.W

Attachments

• screen shot 03.10.16 rev 1 to put on forum.jpg
    screen shot 03.10.16 rev 1 to put on forum.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 222
Sponsored Links
Can you export as something rather than screen shooting, as it's not clear when you zoom in.

hi
Thanks for your reply , sorry , as I said I made the drawing in Excel , but it will not let me attach that type of file , can't think how else I can post it ! .

Is this any better !

Attachments

• screen shot 03.10.16 rev 1 to put on forum from paint.jpg
    screen shot 03.10.16 rev 1 to put on forum from paint.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 152
Sponsored Links
Why all the 16A radials, more often there 20A
You will proberly get some greif for using 1.5 though I prefer that than 1mm

Why all the 16A radials, more often there 20A
You will proberly get some greif for using 1.5 though I prefer that than 1mm

Hi
Thanks for your reply , yes I suppose I could put in 20A mcb's , the 1.5 mm2 for the lighting circuit , I just feel that 1.0 mm2 has no body to it , it just looks to small , it is just me ! .

I'm not sure that's the best way to design an electrical installation whether you like the look of the conductors!
As long as the cable is clipped correctly and you calculate your r1+r2 for the disconnection time correctly (and volt drop if it's a long one) then there's no issue with 1mm and you can save on copper.
An installation is there to safely deliver power, not look substantial.

I'm not sure that's the best way to design an electrical installation whether you like the look of the conductors!
As long as the cable is clipped correctly and you calculate your r1+r2 for the disconnection time correctly (and volt drop if it's a long one) then there's no issue with 1mm and you can save on copper.
An installation is there to safely deliver power, not look substantial.

Hi
Thanks for your reply , yes you are correct , will change it to 1.0mm2 .

thanks again for your input .

I just feel that 1.0 mm2 has no body to it , it just looks to small , it is just me ! .

No not just you.
Not saying you will need to but
I do a lot of fault finding, and usualy requires disconnection of accesories, a few times cables have snapped when moved, were initial fitting has compressed the copper or the cable been strained causing the core to snap, sometimes leaving them so short, that there hard to restrip.
each time its been 1mm.
Of course 1mm is fine if installed properly and not pulled about too much, but personally for me 1.5

Ok Guy's have edited my drawing ! .

ps,pls comment ! .

Attachments

• 04.10.16 rev 3 Final.jpg
    04.10.16 rev 3 Final.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 147
OK Guys have done another revised version , could you pls comment on it , pls .

note: This is my Barn / Workshop for my use only , it will not be used for anything other ( at the moment ) than parking my jeep n making my Art (my hobby ) out of wrought iron , hence the welding machine .

Attachments

• Rev8 09.10.16 Final.jpg
    Rev8 09.10.16 Final.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 115
hence the welding machine .

How big is this welder. ?

DNO application form said:
Water Heating:
Gas Electric (Storage & Direct) Electric Boiler
Ground/Air Source Heat Pump Other fuel
Number of Instantaneous Showers and size: .. ............ kW each
Should you require your connection to accommodate large loads, welders or motors, please provide us with full details.

Most DNOs seem to consider 1kW or above as a large load when discussing welders and motors due to the large inrush currents and the effect they can have on the network.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back