Wiring Downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hi am am installing new downlights.

Should they be wired to a junction box or a ceiling rose?

Regards,

Jon

Sponsored Links
Any junction using screw terminals must be accessible.
Any junction box must have strain relief for the cables.
A ceiling rose is NOT made for this job as it does not have any of the above attributes. It's sole purpose in life is the provide a loop-in junction for a pendant light.

There are terminal boxes made for the job that can be accessed through one of the downlight holes:

For example
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ501.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ804.html

But why downlights? They are not a very good way of lighting a room.

Try to avoid using junction boxes if you can!
If you do use a junction box, they must be easily accessible for maintenance, inspection and testing purposes.
There are maintenance free boxes, that are permitted to be used, Taylortwocities has linked you to one above. I personally find the click flow connections quite handy, when I have no other alternative than to joint, but some downlight fittings will allow access for two cables.

Hi Thanks,

I'm using downlighters because I'm short of space the other option would be ceiling mounted fitting.

Regards,

Jon

Sponsored Links
Hi Thanks,
I'm using downlighters because I'm short of space the other option would be ceiling mounted fitting.
And you have access to the ceiling void, so you can route cable through joists and plan the light so they miss any obstructions in the ceiling void?
Are you aware of the regulations regarding holing and notching of joists?
Permitted safe zones of cables and the requirements of RCDs, if cables are buried less than 50mm within walls?

Hi,

Its effectively a cloakroom in a loft conversion.

I'm thinking now a flush fitting wall or ceiling light may be a better option.
I can get access to the ceiling behind via the void in the eaves. A supply wire for the lighting runs up a joist behind where I need the light so should be relatively easy to connect.

Regards,

Jon

Hi,

Its effectively a cloakroom in a loft conversion.
So the ceiling will have insulation between it and the tiles, and a vapour control layer.

I would strongly advise not cutting holes in those.

If you are short on headroom have a look at LED panel lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back