Wiring Downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to install some downlights into a small WC and a laundry room. After removing the existing pendant I'm a bit perplexed by the current wiring.

In this one I have 2 wires coming through the ceiling, one with L,N,E and one with L,L,E.
DSC_0005.JPG

Here I have 3 wires. One is L,L,E and the other two are L,N,E
DSC_0008.JPG

With the first image, why have I got a wire with 2 live and no neutral? How would this fit into a circuit of downlights? My understanding was that each of these would go into a junction box which would form each end of a circuit with my downlights inbetween.

With the second image, why are there 3 grey wires? How would I wire these into downlights?

Thanks for any pointers.

Sponsored Links
I was being sarcastic.

After removing the existing pendant I'm a bit perplexed by the current wiring.
The wiring wasn't like that until you made it so.

If you had noted which wires the actual light was connected to when it worked then the same will be required for the new light(s).

Luckily, you have a twin red for the switch cable so it is apparent which wire is which.

You need to do this:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Rose

Sponsored Links
I was being sarcastic.

After removing the existing pendant I'm a bit perplexed by the current wiring.
The wiring wasn't like that until you made it so.

If you had noted which wires the actual light was connected to when it worked then the same will be required for the new light(s).

Luckily, you have a twin red for the switch cable so it is apparent which wire is which.

You need to do this:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Rose
Cheers :)

So in both rooms the twin red is the switch cable? I'm beginning to understand little by little. I just expected 1 or 2 grey cables, not 3.

edit: I did photograph the connections, btw. I'm not a complete idiot (only around 95% :D).

Ah. Well done. :)

You could use one of these in place of the ceiling rose.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ501.html

If room you can connect all the lights to the box
View attachment 99673

or like thisView attachment 99672
Initially I was only aware of the second method as a friend did it like this and advised me to, but after reading up on it yesterday I thought the first method would be more suitable. I don't have access from above and will be plasterboarding over the existing damaged ceiling so I'd like to have my downlight connections in place beforehand then I can pull them through the new ceiling easily and attach the downlights.

You really ought to do a bit more studying before you do any more fiddling.
(y)

If you have a switch plate with 2 or more rockers on it in the rooms where you have been working on the lighting, be careful that you get the reds in the twin red the right way round.

Otherwise the switches controlling the other lights will only be energised when the lights you have been working on are switched on.

And remember to connect and sleeve the earth on your switch pair and connect it to the other earths. Don't want you to plate yourself on your lovely metal switches.

P.S. I'm supprised BAS hasn't jump't in with the swiss cheese ceiling……… building regs……… heat loss…….. fire……..

Regards,

DS

Small constructional note.

The old light fittings will have been screwed to joists or to wooden noggins that are placed between the joists, to support the weight of the pendant lights.
Your downlights will not be able to be in the same location as the old lights as they will be too close to the joist/noggin.

This will leave you with several challenges. For example:
1. where will the downlights go then?
2. How will I fill in the old hole where those wires are?
3. The junction bnox that I plan to use will need to be accessible, hot will I be able to access it when i have plastered over the hole?
I mention this, as the JB you have been recommended by EFLI has screw terminals, and you cannot use that if you can't access it. [hint]Search for a "maintenance free" junction box.[/hint]

Small constructional note.

The old light fittings will have been screwed to joists or to wooden noggins that are placed between the joists, to support the weight of the pendant lights.
Your downlights will not be able to be in the same location as the old lights as they will be too close to the joist/noggin.

This will leave you with several challenges. For example:
1. where will the downlights go then?
2. How will I fill in the old hole where those wires are?
3. The junction bnox that I plan to use will need to be accessible, hot will I be able to access it when i have plastered over the hole?
I mention this, as the JB you have been recommended by EFLI has screw terminals, and you cannot use that if you can't access it. [hint]Search for a "maintenance free" junction box.[/hint]
1. I've not completely made up my mind but either one on either side of the joist or one in each corner, ie two on either side of the joist.
2. Plasterboard the whole swiss cheese mess (y)
3. I actually had searched for maintenance free on the basis that I couldn't access it but I didn't actually know the difference between the two, ie screws. :)

You mention joist in the singular, you will have multiple joists up there.

At a rough guesstimate, you're likely to have somewhere between 6-8 joists to contend with (depending on the direction they run) from one wall to the other. This means that somewhere around 4 of these are going to be in your way. Not to mention noggins

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back