Wiring extension cable to choc block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you help? I currently have a cable from plug socket to a choc block, with my DVD player connected to the choc block. However, I now want to have more electrical appliances where DVD is (e.g. Wii). What's the best way to do this (I'm not an experienced DIYer). I thought I could get a 4 socket extension cable and cut the plug off and wire this to the choc block. Then put a plug back on DVD player and plug into extension - with other appliances. Is that ok? Any issues with too much load? Would really appreciate some guidance as I think this is a pretty easy job for me, and don't want to call out an electrician. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I currently have a cable from plug socket to a choc block, with my DVD player connected to the choc block.
Why? you can buy sockets that serve this purpose, you may have also introduced a higher current than the appliance requires, also the connector should be enclosed.
However, I now want to have more electrical appliances where DVD is (e.g. Wii). What's the best way to do this (I'm not an experienced DIYer). I thought I could get a 4 socket extension cable and cut the plug off and wire this to the choc block.
Why would want to do that?
Then put a plug back on DVD player and plug into extension - with other appliances. Is that ok? Any issues with too much load? Would really appreciate some guidance as I think this is a pretty easy job for me, and don't want to call out an electrician. Thanks
I doubt there will be any loading issues as the extension lead will restrict you to 13A load but generally TV and Audio appliances are very low demand.
But I cannot see you logic behind breaking in to a extension lead and inserting choc bloc, I suggest you buy a lead that will deal with what you require rather than hash/bodging up.

Sponsored Links
What you have sounds like a horrible lash up. Chock block should really only be used inside enclosures.

To advise you on how to fix this we need answers to the following questions.

What size is the cable?
Does the cable have an earth core?
How is it connected to the "plug socket"? is it plugged in via a fused 13A plug or is it directly wired with no protection?

Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies so far. I'll try and explain the set up I have. So, I moved into a house and I wanted TV and DVD player in my conservatory - but not plugs. As I'm knocking the conservatory down Ina few months I just wanted the simplest solution. An electrician came round and is using the 2 x plugs sockets from the dining room, these go up and through the wall into the conservatory. Each lead then goes it's own choc block, with one chock block having a lead to the DVD and the other one to the tv. I assume electrician did this as the existing cables from DVD player and tv weren't long enough (and are molded on so couldn't be replaced?). Hopefully that explains my current set up. So, question is, what's easiest way to get more power sockets in conservatory - with my thinking being connect it to one of the cables from the dining room, via choc block. Am I mad?

Mmmmm. Would have been a lot easier if electrician had simply run 4 plug socket extension cable from socket through wall into conservatory. As only a small hole in wall, I assume he could have cut plug off extension cable to thread through wall and then put plug back on = one extension cable with 4 power sockets and no choc blocks. Why didn't he do that I wonder? So, I may simply replace what he's done! Would that be best?

Think the best way would be to unplug and remove what you have now. Then buy an extension reel, remove the plug, push the flex through the hole from the conservatory into the dining room, and re-fit the plug.

When you say chock block do you actually mean chock block or do you mean a properly enclosed flex joint?

We really need to know the size of the flex and whether or not it has an earth core before we can advise you further.

Think the best way would be to unplug and remove what you have now. Then buy an extension reel, remove the plug, push the flex through the hole from the conservatory into the dining room, and re-fit the plug.

Thanks. Just came to same conclusion. I wonder why electrician didn't do this in first place. I thought he was quite good, but starting to have second thoughts.

Ok that picture at least confirms that he used proper flex connectors

It's hard to judge from pictures but that cable looks way too thin to be used for a general extension lead. I also suspect it doesn't have an earth core.

What I would do is replace both those flexes with a single peice of 1.5mm 3-core flex, then fit a plug on one end and a four way extension socket on the other.

Personally i'd preffer a straight lead to a reel.

Ok that picture at least confirms that he used proper flex connectors

It's hard to judge from pictures but that cable looks way too thin to be used for a general extension lead. I also suspect it doesn't have an earth core.

What I would do is replace both those flexes with a single peice of 1.5mm 3-core flex, then fit a plug on one end and a four way extension socket on the other.

Thanks. Not sure what "earth core means" but the cable from the sitting room does have an earth wire, but it's just been cut off in the choc box, the cable from DVD player only as live and neutral. Does that make sense?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back