Wiring extra sensor into security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me how to do this please. I have installed a light with built in motion sensor at the rear of my garage. I have a standalone sensor to install at the front of the garage, I want the light to come on with either sensor.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends if the wiring terminals for the sensor part of the existing light are accessible. Assuming that they are and there is sufficient room for an additional cable into the fitting, the new remote sensor would be wired across the existing sensor, so that either will cause the light to operate. You don't give any details of the existing light or the new sensor electrical connections, however, based on the usual layout, please see the diagram below.

Thanks, the light has a terminal box with 4 connections - live, neutral, earth, and a white wire which I think is the pir sensor. I will follow your diagram and see where that gets me.

The cable to the remote needs to be three core + earth. Do NOT use the bare earth wire for anything other than an earth. Even if the remote sensor does not need an earth there must be an earth conductor in the cable to it.

Sponsored Links
The cable to the remote needs to be three core + earth. Do NOT use the bare earth wire for anything other than an earth. Even if the remote sensor does not need an earth there must be an earth conductor in the cable to it.

Yep just had a look at the remote sensor, also has 4 connections including earth. So the switched live in the remote sensor connects to the 4th terminal in the light fitting and that's pretty much it? :)

For most sensor lights (with a relay output) that should work.

Make sure the additional sensor cannot "see" the light, or a boiler flue, or a white wall, or waving undergrowth.
These all cause false triggering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back